First Egg

alibabba

Songster
Mar 14, 2015
Southeast PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello, Was away for the weekend and found this today.
Peafowl egg.jpg
I have 2 peahens and one Peacock. One IB BS hen was hatched 7/14/17. Approx 23 months)
The other two are from mixed pen from BYC member :) shipped eggs hatched under my broody hen(chicken) approx September 2017. (Approx 20 months)

The Peacock has a few "T feathers" that he has had for a few months. I just notice a couple of small Eye feathers - looking at him today.

He has been displaying and strutting like crazy, and I saw one of the hens squat for me, I forget which, but I think it was the one same age as the peacock. But, I have not seen any mating.

I made a little nest in a cement mixing tub and set it near where the egg was. (rectangular ones like at home depot, I had it here, was supposed to be fora a dust bath)

From reading here, I see that anything or nothing can happen at this point... Just excited and curious :)

ETA - Its the younger one! After much pacing, looking longingly at my dense high, Hosta perennial garden(they are penned), and checking out the suspicious nest multiple times...hen settled into nest. Other hen and Peacock helping? 2nd peahen is still sitting watching her and fiddling/fluffing with the pine needles also! This is really so amazing to watch!

Last edited:
KsKingBee Thank you! Great tip! I have a broody that hatches everything I give her. And goes broody pretty easily.(She hatched those two peafowl)
I will start trying to get her in the mood!

Should I leave the peafowl eggs in the nest or take them and set them bottom up in the house like I do with chicken hatching eggs?

Back
Top Bottom