First egg!

The Clark Farm

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2019
St. Petersburg, FL
The person who I adopted my chicken children from said they’re all about 4 months old, that was two weeks ago. It’s safe to say they are roughly 4-5 months now. Little back story...

I got two Barred Rocks (the “twins”), and then got the sister who is a bantam Cochin a week later. They grew up together. I keep them separated because the twins will peck the Cochin to death even though they were only separated for a week. I put the Cochin in a home made nesting box at night, and keep the twins in an actual roost/nesting box. Today I came home from work, looked out the window and I couldn’t find one of the twins which is odd because they’re in an enclosed run. I went out there and she was inside of the Cochins box laying on an egg! I will look occasionally if they have an egg but I thought they weren’t quite old enough to lay yet. I guess I didn’t look this morning so I’m not sure if she was laying on the Cochins egg that I didn’t see, or if it was one of the twins that just laid one in another box. Please advise! I’m so excited! It’s very small but I’ve also heard they can all start out small no matter the size of the chicken.

Attachments

• 4FF6EF80-744A-400D-9205-B89371109552.jpeg
    4FF6EF80-744A-400D-9205-B89371109552.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 3
congrats on your girl's first egg! :ya as others have said, they'll get bigger over time, and there may be some weird ones in the first few weeks, and irregular gaps between them while her plumbing gets going :)

Back
Top Bottom