Broody chickens shortly after first egg

Crawfomc7

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2023
I have three chickens - two are production reds and one is a brown leghorn that have immediately gone broody it seems within a week of laying their first eggs. Does that seem normal? They run and find a spot in the nesting boxes and sit there with an egg or not and stay there. I have other chickens that are just starting to lay eggs so their camping out in the nesting boxes is affecting them and egg production is down. Any ideas or suggestions? I have a separate mobile run I have been moving the Broody hens to to give the other chickens space which sometimes helps but sometimes it’s too late in the day and the other chickens don’t lay. I’m new to chickens so maybe I’m just missing something or assuming incorrectly.

So to confirm broodiness, if left alone, are they sitting over night? Are they showing any of these other signs: puffing up, flattening down, making a ticking bomb sound, picking feathers out around the breast/belly?

If you can confirm above, then you need to decide if you want to hatch or not. If not, best to put them in a breaker (which your mobile run could possibly double as) and keep them in there until they've broken: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/

Back
Top Bottom