First Egg!!

drmchang

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 10, 2011
Boxford, MA
Went to open pap door this morning, and I see that one of the hens pushed the golf ball into the coop. When I went to put it back, there was a small but absolutely perfect brown egg!!!
Whooppeee!

YAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!! WELL DONE!!! YIPEE FOR YOU!! CONGRATULATONS!!!
clap.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
smile.png
big_smile.png
D.gif

Thanks! We are very excited, these birds were all hatched on/about June 6th. So now, how can I figure out whose it was? All our hens will be laying brown eggs; there is one BR that has been "squatting" for us for about a week, but there are two RIR's and one SLW whose combs and wattles are much more developed? We will be overrun with eggs once they all start, we have 11 hens and all but one are supposed to be heavy layers.

Well, I admit to watching the coop and nest boxes fairly carefully. We have a window in our coop that allows us to see the nest boxes, so I would watch and see which chicken was in the nest box and then immediately collect the egg. The squatting is a surer sign of sexual maturity than even the comb and wattle, so I bet it is your Barred Rock. I have five brown egg layers, but their eggs are really all different shades of brown, so expect some variety even with the brown eggs.

I had a first one today too and will bet it was your barred rock as it was mine. Mine has been really friendly and chattering at me, singing a chorus with the others of the egg song and watched my roo with her today
smile.png
She has a brooder sister that should start soon also, so Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom