First egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunAngel, Aug 23, 2008.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I finally have a second chicken laying eggs! Well sort of....

Last night I went into the coop to lock the chickens up for the night and right in the middle of the floor was a a newly laid egg with no shell. Pretty much looked like someone had cracked open an egg in a frying pan. Perfect big yolk with egg white around it and just a bit of white membrane off to the side. I am guessing my 5-6 month old Buff Cochin laid it, due to the rest of my chickens only being 3 months old. But the way it was popped open, leads me to think she laid it from up on the rafters where she was perching. All the other chickens were already on their perches, so none of them had touched it. And of course I forgot to take a picture!

Is it possible she didnt know what was happening, so didnt know to find a nesting box?

and

How long before she will lay another egg, or ones with real shells?

Up til now we have only had 1 bantam Cochin laying eggs, but she was 2 yrs old and already laying when she was given to us. This is the first chicken to start off laying eggs for us. I am rather excited [​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! I'm waiting for mine to start, so I have no experience- though folks here have indicated similar happenings at first, so I don;t think it's a problem. You'll soon be collecting for your breakfast![​IMG]

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks, I will just keep an eye out for any other shelless eggs and hope she finds the nesting boxes soon!

It seems to take forever for chickens to start laying! I cant wait til all 20+ are finally laying regularly.

That one little bantam egg every other day or so, just doesnt feed a family of 5 very well lol.

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    MIne started laying at 4 months old so may not be as long of a wait. Most of mine are cochins as well. Once in a blue moon i will find a soft shelled egg on the floor appearing to have laid it while on the roost at night. I think if they are in sleep mode they dont even bother trying to find the nest boxes in the dark. I have a light brahma who lays her eggs in the middle of the night on another roost that has a lip around it and pine shavings inside. They will eventually learn where to lay but golf balls in the nesting boxes helps or ping pong balls.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats on your first egg. It really is exciting.

6. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks [​IMG]

I have 6 nesting boxes of various sizes and heights, so she should hopefully find one she likes. No egg from any of them yet today. I figured it might take her awhile to make another fully shelled egg.

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats on the first egg! Now if only my 23 week olds will start laying...

8. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks!!! But grrrr, that first egg was just a teaser I swear!

Its been 3-4 days now and not another egg from anyone but the 2 yr old bantam Cochin!

I have an Exchequer thats around 4 months old and then the Buff Cochin thats about 6 months old. So I figure it has to be one of them. But they are being stingy now and wont lay any more!

I think they are just trying to drive me nutso!!

9. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Any idea how long I will have to wait for a second egg from the chicken that laid the shelless one 5-6 days ago? They are only in a coop/run, so nowhere to hide an egg. Could the shelless one have just been an early fluke?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by