First eggs, one huge

juliechick

Transplanted Hillbilly
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Southeast AR
12477_first_eggs.jpg

Just heard a hen caducking and went to check. My BO pullet was on the nest with a huge (for the first one) egg.
smile.png
Her egg is on the left with my speckled sussex hen's first eggs on the right The SS has been laying for 3 weeks. When will her eggs get bigger? Oh, the BO is 22 weeks old. The SS started laying at 20 weeks.

Last edited:
I have had 2 huge eggs this year like that. I'm not sure if my Buff or barred rock laid it. They both had double yolk. I was so excited but felt bad for the old girl. LOL

The egg was a double yolker. Maybe she'll lay a little smaller one next time. I bet she hopes so!

I was saving the egg so I could blow it out, but my husband ate it for breakfast this morning. Oh, well.
lol.png

Now we're just waiting for EE's to lay......

Last edited:
I was going to say, that I bet it's a double yolker. One of mine layed me one last week--how egg-citing! My bo's seem to be the first to start laying (even before the bsl's). Someone is laying a very dark brown egg. Not as dark as a marans's, but I have bo's, bsl's, 1 slw, and 1 delaware. So for them, it's a pretty dark egg! I have at least 4 laying, and 16 pullets. There are a few that I'm sure aren't laying yet, as they still have small, pink combs.

She layed another one just awhile ago. It's regular sized this time. She is a pretty big hen, and of course, very soft and fluffy. She's one of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom