First eggs! Then nothing...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by schmerbie, Aug 27, 2014.

1. schmerbie

schmerbie New Egg

Aug 27, 2014
    I have 4 chickens and over a week ago now I had 2 eggs with very weak soft shells that were laid from their roost, not the nest box, which I've heard is common for the first ones. The next day, the same exact thing. That was over a week ago and I have not had a single egg (or egg mess) since. I've been searching this site for someone who has had the same issue but couldn't find anything. Do chickens often have this much time between laying when they are first getting going? They are coming up on 5 months old now. Thanks!!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your birds may not be laying for many reasons, but here are some ideas:

• They are new layers. The egg laying tract of new egg layers is often not quite ready or used to the whole process. New layers are often prone to erratic laying, and may have egg laying problems, such as soft shelled eggs.
    • What are they being fed? Soft shelled eggs and other egg problems are sometimes due to not enough calcium. If you aren't already, start with layer feed and possibly supplement with crushed egg shell or oystershell.
    • Has there been any stressful ocurrence lately (predator attack, period without feed/water, hot/cold temperatures)? Stress may cause chickens, especially new layers, to stop laying temporarily.

These are some ideas. My guess, personally, would be that they are getting used to the whole egg laying process. But, it could be a combination of these things.

I hope your hens start laying again soon!

3. schmerbie

schmerbie New Egg

Aug 27, 2014
    Thanks for the reply, I did switch them to layer food and am doing some oyster shell as well. The weather has been warm, high 80s low 90s but nothing to severe. I did have an issue with my waterer and they were without for maybe 6-8 hours but that would probably be the biggest stressor. Thanks again

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    80's and 90's... that would make me want to stop all un-necessary activity! You'll have eggs coming out your ears before you know it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by