FIrst eggs today, but question!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by splotchy1, Jul 19, 2010.

1. splotchy1

splotchy1 New Egg

Apr 5, 2010
    We got our first three eggs today! Not sure which one of our three ladies did it, but they were all laid in the same spot, so I'm assuming it is the same one. They are all acting very strange today though...

My big question is this- whoever is doing the laying: She is laying from one of the roost bars- not a nesting box. I'm afraid for her to get in this habit and have broken eggs from the drop. Any ideas on what to do- or do I do nothing?

2. splotchy1

splotchy1 New Egg

Apr 5, 2010
    OK...so, total newbie here and just realized that the three hens must have each laid one egg each. Can't imagine any one hen laid more than 1 on her first day. So...is it actually possible that all three started laying on the exact same day?!

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    how high is the roost bar compared to the box. most go in the box........put a golf ball in the box so she knows to go in it and lay. they will all use the same one most of the times. i have 3 boxes and they all lay in one

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    did the eggs break ? how do you know they were layed from the roost? are you sure they didn't just lay them in the bottom of the coop ?

5. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I have found a couple eggs from the roosts. I think its a newbie layer thing and it just slips out while they are roosting. My newbie hens are now using the next box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by