First Ever Chicks Arrived Today!

D.gif

Welcome, and it is fun! They grow fast, take pics weekly, I try to do it the same day each week...it may help someone sometime if they have issues and need pics of a specific breed I have...besides, they change so rapidly! If you need any advice, that is why we are all here, remember, NO question is a dumb one!
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks everyone! This is kind of nerve-racking. We made it through the night fine. I was so worried about the temperature I got up a couple of times to check on them. They seem a bit more lethargic than they were yesterday - cruising around the brooder, eating and drinking. Whenever I see one looking kind of sleepy or listless I get all worried about whether or not it is ill. Is this normal behavior? They are about 1 week old.

pwog

Quote:
I think it is...my lil one enjoys giving me heart attacks as she lays on the groud and looks dead.....when I woke her up the 1st few times she gave me a "WTH dude I'm sleeping" look! lol

here she is....I'll try to take a "dead sleeping" pic tonight! lol

67489_dscf4621.jpg

There are many posts around here reagarding temp. I was really worried about that myself but I have realized that the chicks will self regulate. They will walk away from the heat if hot or lay under if cold...if you see them too bunched up right under the lamp it may be too cold in there....good luck!

exactly, they will adjust and let you know if they are cold or hot...I usually turn my light off during the day, it's warm outside, and they are in my house right now, not the coop with the big ones. Mine are 9 days old, I put the heat back on at night...I check them several times a day, if they look huddled, I turn it back on...easy peasy! Remember, they are "babies" and need to sleep....
smile.png

New chicken mommy here too. I have five and oldest are almost three weeks. I am having a blast with them!! Enjoy!

Thanks you guys! I have been checking in on them often today and they are back to being active and as I expected they would be. I did turn off the light a bit ago as it was getting hot in there (95+).

I change the water frequently. I have two 1 quart feeders going. The gals keep kicking pine chips into the waterer and the water starts to get a milky brown color from the wood shavings. Is this bad fro them to drink?

So, a couple of questions:

1. I have the brooder in my garage. The garage has three windows so, there is natural light, albeit not dazzling bright. I have a lamp with a regular light bulb in it that I keep on during the day and evening - then I turn it off. I use a red heat lamp in the late afternoon through the morning. The chicks don't need regular (non-heat) light all day and night do they?

2. I have both a feeder and waterer at each end of the brooder, but the chicks seem to only use one end! Any particular reason they go to one set and not the other?

Thanks!
pwog

Quote:
1. No, the heat lamps usually provide enough light anyways.

2. They may be more comfortable with the temperature at one end.

Quote:
I think it is...my lil one enjoys giving me heart attacks as she lays on the groud and looks dead.....when I woke her up the 1st few times she gave me a "WTH dude I'm sleeping" look! lol

here she is....I'll try to take a "dead sleeping" pic tonight! lol

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/67489_dscf4621.jpg

There are many posts around here reagarding temp. I was really worried about that myself but I have realized that the chicks will self regulate. They will walk away from the heat if hot or lay under if cold...if you see them too bunched up right under the lamp it may be too cold in there....good luck!

Oh, I know what you mean about those sleeping and looking dead poses. Those caused me many a gasps when mind were babies.

Back
Top Bottom