1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first feathers question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by funsized72, Sep 13, 2014.

1. funsized72

funsized72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    I'm confused about chicks getting their chest feathers. Do coturnix chicks feathers change like baby human eyes or something like that[​IMG]? Cuz some got their chest feathers and its speckled with black so Im thinking that they are all girls and I don't want to jinx it [​IMG]. Thank you!

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    It's very possible that they won't stay that color. I believe that they molt that color out as they grow.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Typically if they are pharaoh coturnix then around 3 weeks you can see the speckling on the chests of the females. However some pharaoh coturnix have such diluted genetics that they don't autosex well and in those cases you may see males that have speckled chests but the speckles are typically rust colored not black.

How old are the birds?

4. funsized72

funsized72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    2 weeks in two days. They are super cute!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's possible you are seeing autosexing colors at this point. Keep your fingers crossed.

6. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    The feathers on the chest tend to grow in from the outside in toward the center. Those outside feathers are speckled, but the males will start to get some rust color toward the center. Some will start to show in about 2 1/2 weeks and by three weeks you can usually tell on the browns. Before that you think you are lucky and got all hens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by