First few days outside for chicks and guinea keets

BlueShadow

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2015
Nebraska
I hope it is okay to double-post this in the forum. I put it in "Raising Chicks" but I thought it would also be of interest in the Guinea forum. I am new around here, if it isn't okay just let me know and I will take it down!

Partridge Barnevelder chicks and lavender, royal purple, and chocolate guinea keets 4 weeks old. Sixteen chicks, my guess is 7 roos and 9 hens. Ten guineas, no clue on their genders.

So far, I am getting along great with the guineas. I was warned that "they are not chickens!" and that certainly is true. However, we at one time raised a few pheasants (that was a short-lived endeavor) but the pheasants were great practice for guineas. The keets, thus far anyway, are about 1/2 chicken and 1/2 pheasant in their behaviors. They are more flighty than chicks, but not as easily scared as pheasants. They feathered out and flew much earlier than chicks, but not as early as pheasants. That sort of thing. I find them much more enjoyable than the pheasants were because they are far more tame. The chicks are more curious and bold than the guineas, and usually the first to explore anything new. The guineas tend to stick together. For entertainment, the chicks are into "prizefighting"... two of them will cock-fight and spar with each other while a circle of onlookers cheeps their encouragement. The guineas, however, prefer the peskier entertainment of chasing everyone around and trying to pull out neck feathers. It is important to give them lots of things to do!

First day out!

"Where did the wall go?"

"You first!"
"No, you first!"

The lavender guinea was smartest of the bunch. There are windows in the brooder shed where the guineas have been perching, and those windows face the pen. So the guinea flew up into the window and checked it out... "Yep, it looks the same as this!" Then that guinea flew back down to the door and was the first bird outside.

Day #3.
The guineas found their wings and some bravery (stupidity) and were flying out of the pen, but were not yet strong enough flyers to get back into the pen. Therefore, as far as the kittens were concerned, they were fair game.
Also, despite repeated warnings and threats to their health and safety, the kittens were becoming more bold about climbing into the pen.
So we got out the flight netting and put it over the pen. Guineas in, kitties out, me happy!

The guineas first encounter with the flight netting was fun. One guinea decided to fly into it and see if he/she could get her neck stuck and hang. Fortunately that plan did not work out. One guinea flew up, saw the netting, was very surprised, "WHAT is THAT?" and dropped straight to the ground. And a third guinea flew up, hit the netting, and decided it was a new perch so tried to grab onto it with its feet, but of course it was too small for that plan. After the first round of encounters with the flight netting, I haven't noticed any more trouble, they all seem to know it is there and avoid it now. They do have 6 feet of height for flying, they are not seriously limited.

One kitten just had to climb the fence. He was quite surprised at the netting, that was not what he had expected to find at the top. As it didn't support his weight very well, he quickly went back to safety (the ground).

Last edited:
That's a fun story, I want to work with guineas some day.

Thanks for sharing.
smile.png

Thank you for your story! Mine are going to their coop tonight... gonna hold them over and let them go in the am. I'll post when I get back.

First one looking out the coop

Second one takes flight

Gonna join his buddies, total of 13 ... hey, a baker's dozen!

The craziest one is let loose!

The immediately decided to take a dirt bath... I got a dirt bath too :p Dirty Birds!

My water tank just for the birds

My makeshift porthole... Hey, I'm getting my creative juices flowing...

Enough food and oyster shells to last a month....

temporary nest box all 13 like to squeeze into one....

my indoor water system, I used a cement mixing tub - very sturdy for under $8 dollars... then I put some leftover night crawlers in the bottom and covered it with sod. I had to do something so the water didn't ruin my wood flooring... gonna put a screen over the sod so they don't scratch too much.

The ramp leading out, I took another BYC advisor and placed my ramp on hooks and eyes for easy cleaning and to make it secure.

\
a view from outside. They also have an outside feeder....

and outside water too.

That concludes all my work... and my husband's work... I love having a hobby we can do together. The peeping enjoyment was sooooooo great!

Moved our guineas and Barnevelders to the big coop, got a few Buckeyes to mix in also.

Week 1, they just stayed in the coop to adjust.

Week 2 they were allowed into a covered portion of their new run.

They wasted no time in starting to dust bathe!

Week 3 we let them out of the covered portion into an open area of the run.

Week 3 and 1 day they figure out how to fly OUT of the pen, but can't figure out how to get back in. Fortunately they are very cooperative about going back in through the gate, but this gets OLD very fast.

Week 3 and 3 days, 7 of the 10 got up on the roof of the coop and wouldn't (didn't know how????) come down that evening. Of course they had flown off the roof by the time I could get out there to try and catch them... we managed to find 4 of them in the dark. The other 3 got very wet since it rained that night. All 3 came back the next morning.

Week 3 and 4 days, another rainy day, we kept them in all day to not deal with them getting out all the time.

Week 3 and 5 days, we clip wings. Lots of very upset guineas that can't get out of the pen (for now).

Can you mix gunieas and chickens if they don't grow up together?
I was going to free range my gunieas by letting them climb out through the tree that grows out of my coop and then get some chickens to remain inside. Please let me know. Next summer I intend to have the chickens in place and add the new guniea chicks with them.

Quite the little farmer I am becoming with the help of my BYC friends ;)

Back
Top Bottom