First "flipper" peachick of the year

Steve_of_sandspoultry

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Eastern North Carolina
We have hatched about 30+ this year and all have been doing great, no issues what so ever. Last night one hatched and when I checked this morning and put it in the brooder it is a flipper. It's an extra large chick..... I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Longer legs etc. I stopped turning 5 eggs on Thursday and the other 4 hatched Saturday, Ours usually hatch on day 27 since our incubator runs closer to 100F. Maybe this afternoon it will be up and running around but I doubt it.
sad.png

Steve

A chick that can't stand up and falls over. alot of times they fall over backwards - flipper. It was worse this afternoon. To bad I would have liked to see it grow out it was a 1/3 bigger than the other chicks that have hatched out this year.
sad.png

Steve

That is pretty obviously now that I think about it. I'm sorry about the chick but is there anything you can do about it? I mean I know with chickens sometimes some behaviors are corrected with supplementing with certain vitamins. I'm just curious in case I ever get the chance to have peafowl.

I have seen that in really large chicken chicks that have huge yolk sacs, and when the yolk gets absorbed they are just fine
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
You can try different methods - the glass that people have mentioned, or prop them up. Myself I don't help them, we use the only the strong survive method and after awhile you can see the difference in your flocks.

Steve

Quote:
You can try different methods - the glass that people have mentioned, or prop them up. Myself I don't help them, we use the only the strong survive method and after awhile you can see the difference in your flocks.

Steve

Yes thats one reason I dont help chicks out of the eggs, have no proof , but think those chicks that were help out, could pass those weak genes to there offspring. Just like some breeds were they never hatch young, then they produce non broody offspring.

Quote:

Steve

Yes thats one reason I dont help chicks out of the eggs, have no proof , but think those chicks that were help out, could pass those weak genes to there offspring. Just like some breeds were they never hatch young, then they produce non broody offspring.

Same here on helping them out of the eggs, It may seem cruel and heartless but it helps in the long run. Nobody likes to cull.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom