1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Flock!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mrsdee, Jun 1, 2017.

1. mrsdee

mrsdee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2017
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    I've known I wanted chickens for quite a while. After my husband and I bought our first house we seriously thought about getting a flock, but the property was too small and neighbors too close. Now that we've moved into our second home on 5 acres, the time has finally come! We got our first babies in early April. Our first group of six included a white leghorn, a golden laced wyandotte, two barred rocks, and two cuckoo marans (were told they were easter eggers :he).
    IMG_6627.JPG
    Three days later I came home with 8 more! Two buff orpingtons, two salmon faverolles, two easter eggers, and two welsummers. One welsummer and one easter egger ended up passing away but we were allowed replacements from Rural King. I ended up coming back with an extra easter egger just to be sure :fl. So a total of 15 baby chickies! :wee
    IMG_6646.JPG IMG_6647.JPG
    Now, after a couple months, they've all grown quite a bit! So here are a few updated pictures of the ladies...and fellers (unfortunately).
    IMG_6730.jpg Pearl the White Leghorn
    IMG_6735.jpg Blanche the Golden Laced Wyandotte
    IMG_6753.JPG IMG_6732.jpg Marge (left) and Ebony (right) the Barred Rocks
    IMG_6737.JPG IMG_6744.jpg Cleatus (left) and Francis (right) the Cuckoo Marans roos
    IMG_6757.jpg Light Buff and Dark Buff the Buff Orpingtons
    IMG_6747.jpg Jim Tom one of our mutt turkeys (MottledxSpanishxNarragansett)
    IMG_6749.jpg Sue Bob (background) mutt turkey and Cricket one of our easter eggers
    IMG_6766.JPG IMG_6768.jpg Penny (left) and Itty Bitty (left) our other EEs
    IMG_6758.JPG Rosemary and Thyme the Welsummers (one in back left)
    IMG_6774.JPG Peaches and Cream the Salmon Faverolles separated by EEs on roost!

Whew! I sure am looking forward to my colorful egg basket this fall! :love

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What a lovely bunch -- you've definitely mastered chicken (and turkey) math....

3. DoeAndGander

DoeAndGander Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2017
    Southern Minnesota
    So fun! I can't wait to build my coop and welcome the ladies home. Great choice in breeds! What size coop/run did you end up with?

4. mrsdee

Apr 25, 2017
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    Thank you, Ol Grey Mare! I had heard of chicken math before I got my own birds but didn't realize it would be this easy!! It has taken over, I tell ya lol DH is probably going to kill me! I'm going to our local chicken swap tomorrow and will probably come home with at least 2 more babies.

DoeAndGander, I'm sure you'll have a great time once you get some! I had researched breeds for a long time before making trips to get them all. We don't have very many Rural Kings in my area but they have a much better selection than TSC, IMO at least around me. We converted an old lean-to shed on our property into a coop with left-over metal siding. It looks pretty pathetic but it is big! I think it is about 8ftx12ft with a 6-8ft tall roof. I'll try to get a pic to add to this thread.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow! What an assortment you have! Thanks for joining our flock!

6. mrsdee

Apr 25, 2017
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    theoldchick, thank you! I really enjoy learning as much as I can on this site. Happy to be a part of BYC :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by