first freeze Edited - Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ams3651, Oct 23, 2008.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    well it finially happened, I went out this morning to let the chickens out and the water was frozen. Its still a little below 40 degrees and its 9am. My red heat lamp broke, Im going to have to get one real soon. The chickens seem to be ok after the cold night but Don was shivering a little when he was out. Its my first winter with my chickens, Im nervous but everything Ive read says they will be ok.

edited What works best, I read about so many different things, red heat lamps, what about the ceramic heatlamps? Reptile heaters, dont know much about them. What works good for you.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Happy First Freeze of the Year!! [​IMG] We just had our second one this morning (first was yesterday) (frosts don't count). I had to chip the ice this morning in the water fountain. Forgot to this morning. [​IMG] But is is a bit warmer than last night, I don't think it dropped to 25 this time.

If you can find a red lamp that lasts longer than a month, let me know! I am tired of replacing them. Mine have a cheap 60 watt light bulb for now.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to peri-winter! We've had a hard freeze too and we're modifying our water line to the barn/coop. We insulated the spot and we're waiting for a better day to finish the work because we'll have to drain the line. It's upon us, and I think the birds will adjust before we do![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by