FrankHomestead

Songster
Mar 27, 2017
Michigan
My pullets JUST started laying, this is my 13th egg from 6 Isa Browns. They've all varied in size, darkness and speckles, which i expected. But this one had what looked like a spot of brown wiped off when i collected it! I took it inside, washed it, rubbing it firmly to get the dirt/manure off and more of the darkness rubbed off! I'm assuming this MAY be normal esp in new layers, i would just like to understand why!?
20171102_182016.jpg
20171102_182008.jpg

Hi! Not to worry :D my isa brown lays eggs that have the same patches and streaks. It's not a breed specific thing...but for whatever reason it happens with my gal too. May be a calcium issue. The egg inside is good to go, treat it like a regular ol egg.
ETA my girl is a young layer, 21 weeks old and just started laying. Maybe it takes a while to get the paint shop up & running

I have Black Copper Marans, very dark eggs. The color is applied as the egg is laid so it can be rubbed off. I don't know about Isa Browns but this happens all the time with BCM.

Hi! Not to worry :D my isa brown lays eggs that have the same patches and streaks. It's not a breed specific thing...but for whatever reason it happens with my gal too. May be a calcium issue. The egg inside is good to go, treat it like a regular ol egg.
ETA my girl is a young layer, 21 weeks old and just started laying. Maybe it takes a while to get the paint shop up & running
:lau paint shop! Cute
Thanks guys! I figured it was ok...just curious how only that egg did that...and i washed all the eggs right away because they were filthy. But no other eggs did that....peculiar :hmm

Back
Top Bottom