First hatch gone wrong?

mcsale

Chirping
Jun 13, 2022
It’s been at least 28 hours since our first egg hatched on day 17. None of the other eggs have even pipped. What gives? Temp and humidity are fine. I did have to open the incubator when the first chick got its leg stuck and again after 24 hours to move it to the brooder. Did I do something wrong?

I’m going to keep the eggs in until day 21, unless it’s safe to check them sooner. How would one safely check them?

It’s been at least 28 hours since our first egg hatched on day 17. None of the other eggs have even pipped. What gives? Temp and humidity are fine. I did have to open the incubator when the first chick got its leg stuck and again after 24 hours to move it to the brooder. Did I do something wrong?

I’m going to keep the eggs in until day 21, unless it’s safe to check them sooner. How would one safely check them?
You say the temperature and humidity are fine... How do you know they are fine?
What the temperature and humidity level in your incubator?

Do you have a calibrated thermometer and salt tested humidity gauge in it?

Take an egg out of the incubator and into a dark room like a closed closet. Shine a flashlight into the fat end of the egg and get a clear picture.

^^^ what Kiki said!

How many eggs do you have? Have you locked down properly? What incubator are you using? Did you open incubator for a brief amount of time or was it longer? Did you maintain humidity whilst you had the incubator open - paper towel method?

You say the temperature and humidity are fine... How do you know they are fine?
What the temperature and humidity level in your incubator?

Do you have a calibrated thermometer and salt tested humidity gauge in it?

Take an egg out of the incubator and into a dark room like a closed closet. Shine a flashlight into the fat end of the egg and get a clear picture.
Temp is at 99.5 and humidity during lockdown is between 65%-70%. I’m not sure if the hygrometer is salt tested.
I candled them the best I could before lockdown and removed the ones that glowed or appeared to stop developing.

Temp is at 99.5 and humidity during lockdown is between 65%-70%. I’m not sure if the hygrometer is salt tested.
I candled them the best I could before lockdown and removed the ones that glowed or appeared to stop developing.
It is highly likely that you're humidity was too high throughout If your humidity gauge has not been salt-tested. You would know if it had been tested cuz you wouldn't have had to done it yourself.
What your humidity is at right now would kill chicks in my incubator.
Can you candle a couple of eggs right now and get clear pictures of what you're seeing?

If you can't get a clear picture that is fine just candle a couple of them and see if you see large air cells or not.

^^^ what Kiki said!

How many eggs do you have? Have you locked down properly? What incubator are you using? Did you open incubator for a brief amount of time or was it longer? Did you maintain humidity whilst you had the incubator open - paper towel method?
Started with 12. 2 somehow cracked, 2 were infertile, and 2 stopped growing. I locked down the remaining 6 eggs.
When I opened the incubator it was very quick. The humidity level did drop from 70 to 67-68.

Back
Top Bottom