First Hatch, Homemade Bator, (Update: Hatching! on 04-03-2010 PICS!!!)

man, hatching can be a little nerve racking huh?
I think there are six chicks hatched now... several more pipped, some visibly rocking back and forth. I know it has been less than 11 hours since I saw the first chicks, but it sure does seem like everyone else is taking a long time to hatch. I just have to remember that 21 days is not up untill tomorrow at 4pm. Hopefully we make eggcellent progress by then. Things seem to be going very well, my girls convinced me to "help" out one that had been zipped for like 6 hours. I probably should not have, but it looks healthy, moving and what not, just has some membrane stuck to it.
my green eggs seem to be a little on the slow side, a couple more pipped

FUN FUN
wee.gif

For your viewing pleasure:

I just got back from staring at the incubator with my daughter and we have 7 chicks now...
25957_p4030618.jpg

I think this one is awful perdy... must have come from a barred rockm egg
25957_p4030601.jpg

This picture makes me wonder about this chicks intentions.
25957_p4030605.jpg

Last edited:
11 out of 17 so far, black ones, a black one, a black one with a white belly, black ones with white wing tips, a chipmunk one, a mottled brown/red looking one (not really "mottled" but you know), and a couple whitish ones. No yellow chicks.

I wonder what you can tel about adult plumage from the chick colors, maybe I'll post another topic after they come ou tof the bator so that I can get good pictures of all of them.

Anyone know anything about these colors as they relate to adult plumage???

Cute babies! What color are your 2 roos? I had an EE hen (classic brown chipmunk) - green eggs - that I hatched last year. Dad was black and all three babies turned out black. I think that black is dominant.

My EEs came from Ideal Hatchery, all were chipmunk at chick stage if I remember correctly. My hens are 4 barred rocks and 14 EE's. The EE hens are a variety of colors, from wild type, and other things I don't know the name of.... silver lookin ones, red heads with brown bodies, light brown laced with grey, and so on...
My roosters are quite colorful, the dominant one looks like a silver ameraucana with some dark brown on the back, I don't know if "silver" kis the same in other breeds. The other rooster is white mostly with black in he hackles. I just looked up some down colors on breeds and wow, they are pretty diverse.
I'll definitley post another topic somewhere and try to follow along with colors of the chicks as they mature. I think some may be going to friends though so I may not have frequent photo ops.
The wife says she doesn't want to run the incubator anymore, but I think I may have to order some Marans eggs soon
smile.png

I can see how an incubator can really enable a chicken problem.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom