Troubleshooting My First Hatch

Missadiellis

Chirping
Aug 8, 2021
Hello! I just recently had my first hatch! The eggs are button quail (so tiny!) and I bought 15 eggs online from a reputable farm that wasn’t too too far away. They got here next day shipping and went right into the bator. I kept the humidity steady at 40-45% until lockdown on day 14, but had issues bumping it up to 65-70% and keeping it there. Out of 15 eggs: 4 were empty (no development), 2 were almost developed (maybe 2-3 days behind) but didn’t hatch. Out of the remaining 9, 2 have slightly crooked toes on one foot, and one I had to help hatch and has pretty severe curled toes. Can you help me troubleshoot what I did wrong so that I don’t get curled feet and crooked toes next time? I feel like 9 babies out of 15 for hatched eggs is a pretty good hatch rate.

So it could be the place u purchased the eggs from. I have never hatched eggs from a hatchery, but I'm soo weird about flock illness and adding outsiders to my flock. What kind of incubator are you using? I wonder if maybe your humidity should be a Lil higher. Buttons are soo hard 2 hatch. I say this with experience. Are you using an Egg turner?

IMG_5818.png
This is the incubator I have.

So sorry you've had trouble with your hatch. :hugs

First, shipped eggs need to rest 12 to 24 hours before setting, large end up sitting in an egg carton. Shipping causes bubbles and misalignment of the air cell. So definitely let them rest before setting.

Make sure your incubator is up and running 24 hours before setting eggs, never pur eggs in a cold machine.

Chicks that make it all the way to lockdown but do not internally pip probably died from improper temps during the cycle, usually too high.

If they internally pipped but had difficulty zipping out, this is generally due to low humidity levels at lockdown.

Lastly, curled toes can be genetic/vitamin deficiencies in the parent birds, but more often its either improper egg storage before setting or heat and humidity fluctuations during the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom