First Hatch!

samuelsonfarm

Chirping
6 Years
May 27, 2013
Hello Everyone,
I am at the point of pure excitement. I have 2 eggs in my incubator that are on day 24, and when I went in to candle them this evening I heard a faint peep, and it looks like one of the ducklings has broken through the air sac inside the egg! I am over the moon excited! I've never hatched before, so I just don't know what to expect. I know I need to increase the humidity in the incubator, so I added a bunch of water to the reservoir. Anything else I need to do? It was a last minute decision to incubate the eggs, so I'm not all up to par on my research...and it seems early for internal pip. Is it? These are pekin/runner mix ducks by the way.

I will not sleep tonight, way way way too excited! Can't wait to post some photos of our two new babies!

Okay, so while you are not sleeping,
lol.png
have you read this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

I have read several times new hatchers opening the 'bator and dooming the ducklings to being zip locked (most often fatal), so easy does it! I think they call it lockdown.

And have you posted on the Thread Formerly Known as Hatch Day Is Today?

Last edited:
I did hear about the "don't open the 'bator" rule. Should I run a humidifier in my room just for extra humidity? I looked through the first link you sent, and it had some helpful hints. I don't have any "drying powder' so I'm hoping they dont need it :/

I woke twice during the night to check on the eggs, and heard lots of chirping and both eggs are wobbling all over. No external pip yet on either one. I moved the incubator into my bathroom so I can increase humidity as needed (by turning on the shower for a minute or so). I don't have a humidity gague in the incubator...lesson learned.

One thing I do see, that concerns me, is one of the eggs (the one that had internal pip and chirping first) looks like it has a purplish spot on it near the bottom (widest) part of the egg. What does this mean?

Thanks everyone!

I woke twice during the night to check on the eggs, and heard lots of chirping and both eggs are wobbling all over. No external pip yet on either one. I moved the incubator into my bathroom so I can increase humidity as needed (by turning on the shower for a minute or so). I don't have a humidity gague in the incubator...lesson learned.

One thing I do see, that concerns me, is one of the eggs (the one that had internal pip and chirping first) looks like it has a purplish spot on it near the bottom (widest) part of the egg. What does this mean?

Thanks everyone!
I would definitely bring this one over to the Hatch Day thread. I am not a hatcher, just a learner right now. Very exciting. Very nerve wracking.

Back
Top Bottom