Help With Hatching Eggs

DCC2615

Chirping
Oct 25, 2023
I have a Welsh Harlequin egg that is on day 28 today put in lockdown Monday. Baby was moving responding to voices, could see poking at air sac inside egg at candling. There is no movement, no pip, and I am not opening incubator out of fear. These are my daughters ducks and she’s already heartbroken over the 3 red ring of death eggs we had to discard and I just had to discard another one in different Incubator today because veins are gone, no movement, no heartbeat, and the baby appeared to be a floating blob inside the egg and honestly it just looked dead when I candled it. I have never done any of this…..I am sure I am doing everything wrong. Please help

Hi DCC2615, Welcome to BYC, You came to the right place!
Don't worry too soon. Babies take a long time and sometimes rest inbetween..

What kind of incubator setup do you have?

[edit: was the respons a vocal one or did the egg move?]

I bought it off Amazon I have two…. I moved baby on lockdown day because the other incubator has eggs not ready to hatch. This egg is from September and my other incubator has eggs from October. This is a new mama duck too. We got her in April this baby is the only “Viable”one from her first lays if that makes since. It was me talking to the baby, it moved around to my voice during candling but when I try to talk to it thru incubator it doesn’t move or anything. I’m sure it can’t hear me but I am really dumb about this stuff

Attachments

• 963C270A-09D9-43FE-8A3C-D946AA8642BC.jpeg
    963C270A-09D9-43FE-8A3C-D946AA8642BC.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 3
Don't worry yet.

When a baby duck hatches, the first thing that happens is that there is an internal pip. After the internal pip, the duckling will peep once in a while, You'll here the sound. If you didn't hear a sound yet, she might not have internally pipped yet.

Than it still can take more than a day before the external pip is happening. Make sure the humidity (very important!) and temperature is good.. and watch very carefully if the egg moves once in a while. Sometimes the duckling sleeps and won't move...

- how sure are you about the days?
- which temperature did you use? And how accurate could you measure this temperature... If it was slightly too low during incubating, it might take a bit longer too

-And how is the roomtemperature where the incubator is? Because these type of incubators don't have much isolation
- how long ago did you see the last movement / candled you the egg?

Don't worry yet.

When a baby duck hatches, the first thing that happens is that there is an internal pip. After the internal pip, the duckling will peep once in a while, You'll here the sound. If you didn't hear a sound yet, she might not have internally pipped yet.

Than it still can take more than a day before the external pip is happening. Make sure the humidity (very important!) and temperature is good.. and watch very carefully if the egg moves once in a while. Sometimes the duckling sleeps and won't move...

- how sure are you about the days?
- which temperature did you use? And how accurate could you measure this temperature... If it was slightly too low during incubating, it might take a bit longer too

-And how is the roomtemperature where the incubator is? Because these type of incubators don't have much isolation
- how long ago did you see the last movement / candled you the egg?
Candled Monday and baby was moving and could see it poking at air sac. The temp is accurate I have an internal thermometer that keeps temp and humidity it’s same as unit temperature. 99 F temp and 70-74 humidity.

Should I open incubator and check the egg to see if the duckling is still alive? There is no movement, no sound, no piping, I also read people saying you can see veinsup until hatching? I have not seen veins since day 25? Thank you

Should I open incubator and check the egg to see if the duckling is still alive? There is no movement, no sound, no piping, I also read people saying you can see veinsup until hatching? I have not seen veins since day 25? Thank you
No you can't see veins until hatching. in the end, most of the egg is dark. you will see the airchamber. just before /during internal pipping you see a triangle in the airchamber, the ducklings bill..

let me see if I can find a picture

Back
Top Bottom