First incubation ever! Help me get it right!

Okay, this is a bump, and a question.
I candled 4 of the eggs on day 5 today, should I be concerned that I didn't see anything? I need to order a candler, my light isn't bright enough I don't think, but what do you think? The green eggs are hard to candle, but I've heard that if they glow red its a sign of viability? Is that true? I didn't see any veins, but the air cells are bigger, just harder to capture in the image. They aren't glowing white like I expected them to, but I did see the edge of them while I was candling. I only have one pic of each that didn't' come out blurry, I can try to get some more if these aren't good enough though. I'm using a Duracell headlamp in the picture if that makes a difference.

Egg#1
IMG_1638.jpg

Egg #2
IMG_1642.jpg

Egg #3
IMG_1648.jpg

Egg #4
IMG_1651.jpg

I'm of course going to give them more time, but I'm only concerned because I've been looking at this article for guidance, and the pictures there seem to have lots of veins were I can't see any. Thanks for your time!

Hey guys, I hope this isn't a dumb question haha, but I've been having issues calibrating my thermometers.
I did the ice water, filled glass with ice, topped off with water. Then, I inserted the probe and let the temp drop. With the aquarium thermometer, the temp kept jumping. went down to 33 then up to 38 and stayed there. I then stirred the water and it dropped to 35, then 33, then 32.8. Walk away thinking its finally going down, com back, its at 38.
Then with the Other thermometer I bought, same ice water calibration, went down to 35%, stayed, then started to go up, went to 36. I pulled it out an assumed it was 2 degrees off, but I really don't know if the temps were gonna start jumping like the other one. 🤷‍♀️
Am I doing something wrong? Is it just the Thermometers? Should I try again? I've tried multiple times with the aquarium thermometer, but wondering what you guys think.

I need some insight, I am re-calibrating my thermometer. I did ice water, and put the probe in the glass, its an insulated coffee cup glass if that matters. I've had it in for about 10-15 minuets, and its still going down by about .1 degree ever 1-2 minutes. Is this okay? Should I have taken it out a while ago? Just I had a temp jump, it went down to 32.8, then after a few moments, up to 33.6. Now, it just jumped back down to 32.9 and up to 33.1 again. Should I call 32.9 the calibration? Its .6 degrees off? Its to going down anymore, just jumping between 33 and 32 degrees. Ideas?

"THE ICE-WATER METHOD
Fill a large glass with ice and then fill it with cold tap water. Stir the ice water and let it sit for 3 minutes. Place your thermometer in the ice water, making sure to stick the probe at least 2 inches into the mixture, but not to touch the sides or the bottom of the glass. Stir the ice water with the probe to even out the temperature of the water and prevent the probe from resting against an ice cube. Wait at least 30 seconds for the thermometer to read the temperature. The temperature on your thermometer should read 32°F or 0°C."

Checking your thermometer should only take about 4 minutes.
Make sure you are only putting enough water in the ice to make equal parts ice plus water.
When you put your thermometer in it should drop to 32 in about 30 seconds or so. That is freezing temperature. if you are looking at it 10 or 15 minutes later of course it's not going to be freezing temperature anymore because your ice has melted and it's starting to warm up a bit.

"THE ICE-WATER METHOD
Fill a large glass with ice and then fill it with cold tap water. Stir the ice water and let it sit for 3 minutes. Place your thermometer in the ice water, making sure to stick the probe at least 2 inches into the mixture, but not to touch the sides or the bottom of the glass. Stir the ice water with the probe to even out the temperature of the water and prevent the probe from resting against an ice cube. Wait at least 30 seconds for the thermometer to read the temperature. The temperature on your thermometer should read 32°F or 0°C."

Checking your thermometer should only take about 4 minutes.
Make sure you are only putting enough water in the ice to make equal parts ice plus water.
When you put your thermometer in it should drop to 32 in about 30 seconds or so. That is freezing temperature. if you are looking at it 10 or 15 minutes later of course it's not going to be freezing temperature anymore because your ice has melted and it's starting to warm up a bit.
Okay, thank you I will recalibrate again, I knew I was doing wrong, thank you!

I don't see obvious signs of development from the photos, but I typically don't candle until day 7, so would also give it a bit more time and re-candle. Even at day 5, though, they're not where I'd expect them to be if they were developing.
Ya, that is exactly what I thought. Maybe my temp has been a bit low? Its also very possible that since its a bantam rooster, he is having a hard time fertilizing the eggs, so I wouldn't doubt they weren't fertile. My temp could also be low, when I got the egg from my friend, she didn't' have a separate thermometer in her bator, so her temp could have been low to, you never know. I'll update pics in a few days.

I know its still a little early, so i'm not to concerned yet, but I definelty don't think the heating pad did anything for them, so should I could the day they went into the incubator as day one or??
Hey I am so sorry I never replied!!! My phone died before I could finish writing, and I completely forgot. So so so sorry.
I will finish writing this time. 😂
Yes, I would count it as day 1. If they were heated at above 85 temps for a while though, I would be concerned that there may be deformities from that. Hopefully there isn't though.
How do I keep my humidity stable? It seems like its either to high, or to low, I can't seem to keep it at 48%. I am trying a half cup filled with water, a little wider then the 1/4 cup I had earlier, which kept the humidity to low. I'm try gin to see who m
Just play around with it. You can wrap the incubator in a blanket, just leave the vents uncovered.
More water surface area = higher humidity, smaller water surface area = less humidity.
Who often is it safe to candle?
I candle daily. As long as you wash your hands first, are careful, and you don't take too long, it's fine.
Okay, this is a bump, and a question.
I candled 4 of the eggs on day 5 today, should I be concerned that I didn't see anything? I need to order a candler, my light isn't bright enough I don't think, but what do you think? The green eggs are hard to candle, but I've heard that if they glow red its a sign of viability? Is that true? I didn't see any veins, but the air cells are bigger, just harder to capture in the image. They aren't glowing white like I expected them to, but I did see the edge of them while I was candling. I only have one pic of each that didn't' come out blurry, I can try to get some more if these aren't good enough though. I'm using a Duracell headlamp in the picture if that makes a difference.

Egg#1
View attachment 2580602

Egg #2
View attachment 2580609

Egg #3
View attachment 2580611

Egg #4
View attachment 2580613

I'm of course going to give them more time, but I'm only concerned because I've been looking at this article for guidance, and the pictures there seem to have lots of veins were I can't see any. Thanks for your time!
Wait for a couple days and then candle again. Usually there would be some growth by now, but they haven't exactly had a perfect incubation with the heating pad and stuff.

Wait for a couple days and then candle again. Usually there would be some growth by now, but they haven't exactly had a perfect incubation with the heating pad and stuff.
Ya, the incubation has been far from perfect. When I wake up I swear, every time the humidity is at 50%+, (I have a super tiny paper towel in there folded put for less surface area). And the temp is either at 100 degrees, or 98. The temp doesn't do that overtime though. Usually its 99.something.
I'll update in a few days, I'll probably candle tomorrow to, just because I'm so hopeful to see veins, and if I see any changes I will update you, and even if I sent see anything different I'll repost pics on day 7.

Back
Top Bottom