First Marans Egg!

JTC

Chirping
May 13, 2020
If you can’t run to Backyard chickens and celebrate an egg, then where can you? ;)

I thought I was excited last month with our very first egg, until I found this little speckled chocolate gem from my Blue Copper Marans. Pictures can never do any of the eggs justice, but it’s brown with darker brown speckles.
Can anyone give me their input on Marans eggs in general - should I give her a few eggs to let her little “ink jets” get to work before I expect dark? Or is the first egg a good indicator of what I am going to get?

from what I understand, correct me if I’m wrong: Black Copper Marans tend towards the darkest eggs and your other Marans varieties, in this case blue, are generally lighter?

she is just a hatchery bird so i understand I won’t be getting show quality super dark eggs. I am just trying to learn more about my girls 🤓🐔 (And celebrate a little)

Attachments

• D1C72A96-86C7-4E9E-A5A9-00F656584FEC.jpeg
    D1C72A96-86C7-4E9E-A5A9-00F656584FEC.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 94
from what I understand, correct me if I’m wrong: Black Copper Marans tend towards the darkest eggs and your other Marans varieties, in this case blue, are generally lighter?
Supposed to.
Has more to do with the 'line' of Marans and if they've been bred/culled to lay darker eggs.
Dark eggs from hatchery birds are a crap shoot.

Supposed to.
Has more to do with the 'line' of Marans and if they've been bred/culled to lay darker eggs.
Dark eggs from hatchery birds are a crap shoot.
I like to live a little dangerous and gamble lol
Thank you. I knew it was a bit of a crap shoot for the hatchery birds. But I wanted to get to know the breed and see if I liked them before hunting down higher end lines.(already researching Marans Breeders)

I’m glad I did hatchery birds for my first flock and didn’t spend much because I have a few Orpingtons that everyone said were just great birds that I am not impressed with. 🤷🏻‍♀️

If you can’t run to Backyard chickens and celebrate an egg, then where can you? ;)

I thought I was excited last month with our very first egg, until I found this little speckled chocolate gem from my Blue Copper Marans. Pictures can never do any of the eggs justice, but it’s brown with darker brown speckles.
Can anyone give me their input on Marans eggs in general - should I give her a few eggs to let her little “ink jets” get to work before I expect dark? Or is the first egg a good indicator of what I am going to get?

she is just a hatchery bird so i understand I won’t be getting show quality super dark eggs. I am just trying to learn more about my girls 🤓🐔 (And celebrate a little)
Hi, it is so exciting finally getting eggs and seeing what color they’ll lay. I have a solid black copper marans and a blue black copper marans and they just started laying eggs. I’ve noticed they started out not too dark at all, but now after about 3 eggs they are getting darker each time. One lays a beautiful copper brown egg with dark freckles. I love it! And the blue black copper maran lays a brown almost purplish egg each time. Today’s egg was darker than before . Here’s some pictures. One of the first eggs, and then todays( their third egg laid). There’s three because I also have a lavender Orpington that always lays a small light brown egg every single day.

Attachments

• A131FEE2-DE07-485D-B9DE-3825357CFFCA.jpeg
    A131FEE2-DE07-485D-B9DE-3825357CFFCA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • 8635267A-26CC-46E3-8F26-9EA6C6BC0917.jpeg
    8635267A-26CC-46E3-8F26-9EA6C6BC0917.jpeg
    975.4 KB · Views: 28
  • F989D06B-8F28-4B8F-9C73-E089CB07FDD0.jpeg
    F989D06B-8F28-4B8F-9C73-E089CB07FDD0.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 28
  • E4F7390E-23C2-4924-AF67-E5726D9E1490.jpeg
    E4F7390E-23C2-4924-AF67-E5726D9E1490.jpeg
    639.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 5E8B079B-D6B7-48BF-AF02-D39EA60162D5.jpeg
    5E8B079B-D6B7-48BF-AF02-D39EA60162D5.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 32
Hi, it is so exciting finally getting eggs and seeing what color they’ll lay. I have a solid black copper marans and a blue black copper marans and they just started laying eggs. I’ve noticed they started out not too dark at all, but now after about 3 eggs they are getting darker each time. One lays a beautiful copper brown egg with dark freckles. I love it! And the blue black copper maran lays a brown almost purplish egg each time. Today’s egg was darker than before . Here’s some pictures. One of the first eggs, and then todays( their third egg laid). There’s three because I also have a lavender Orpington that always lays a small light brown egg every single day.

Your blue girl is beautiful!! 😍

Unfortunately, I have not gotten any darker eggs or even any that specked as my first one. A few days ago (about 10 days after that first egg) I watched my blue marans lay her egg. I snatched it up excited, until I got into the light and realized that it was lighter, no spots and now if I don't catch her laying I can't tell which egg is hers because it's just pretty much the same brown as my ISA browns / barred rocks. A little disappointed, but she's a pretty girl that doesn't cause any trouble so it is what it is.
I have another blue, 2 blacks and 2 splashes - so fingers crossed they give me some variety in the egg basket. Only one splash is old enough to be laying, the rest I'll be waiting for a few months or I'm guessing spring. 🤷‍♀️ I'm starting to think that I am going to have to get some dark eggs from a breeder and hatch my own.

Your blue girl is beautiful!! 😍

Unfortunately, I have not gotten any darker eggs or even any that specked as my first one. A few days ago (about 10 days after that first egg) I watched my blue marans lay her egg. I snatched it up excited, until I got into the light and realized that it was lighter, no spots and now if I don't catch her laying I can't tell which egg is hers because it's just pretty much the same brown as my ISA browns / barred rocks. A little disappointed, but she's a pretty girl that doesn't cause any trouble so it is what it is.
I have another blue, 2 blacks and 2 splashes - so fingers crossed they give me some variety in the egg basket. Only one splash is old enough to be laying, the rest I'll be waiting for a few months or I'm guessing spring. 🤷‍♀️ I'm starting to think that I am going to have to get some dark eggs from a breeder and hatch my own.
Don’t give up yet, one of them may lay darker. I hatched both of my marans from a breeders eggs. Both were incredibly dark dark brown so I assumed mine would be darker, but that’s not the case. Either way they do add a variety to my egg basket. And they are good friendly girls. Good luck with your others🙂🤞

Back
Top Bottom