First Negative Day with my Flock.

Ted Brown

Songster
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Today I caught 3 of my 4 cockerels cornering one of my ISA pullets. A few days back I noticed that the ISA pullets were looking a bit ragged, the thought crossed my mind that the cockerels had matured beyond the point where the ladies were safe, today confirmed that.

I made a number of calls today, none of the local chicken processors are in operation yet (June is their start up date) so it is down to me. I have not had to deal with something like this in the past. I have done the research, the YouTubes and have steeled myself; will wait until after dark to make catching them easier and hopefully less traumatic on the flock (??? me being a softie). I have discussed with my sister over the past six weeks which one the four we will keep so that part is out of the way.

I have the flock for the eggs that are given but have also enjoyed them all as they grew. Not easy but has to be done.

Rammy

Crowing
11 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tennessee
I feel your pain. I just processed 7 extra roosters because of that but still have 7 roosters. Three are normal size, the rest are bantys. I may have to build a bachelor pad for the extras since I have no more room in the freezer. A couple hens are in the quarantine pen reciveeing from no feathers at all on thier backs syndrome.

Ted Brown

Songster
Dec 12, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
You could set up a separate area for the extra cockerels for now, waiting until June.
Or, is there a wildlife rehab near you who would want them for food?
I'm not a fan of home butchering either, it's so messy! We used to do it, but not any more.
It is a useful skill to have though. Skinning is easier than plucking.
Mary
Good thoughts Mary thanks.

I do not have any space to be able to separate and we still have 3-4' of snow so not easy to throw something together. Had not thought of a Wildlife Center I will do some digging. I will not butcher just putting them down and disposing. Had hoped this would not happen until Spring was here.

Peppercorngal

Crowing
Feb 5, 2018
Feather Falls, CA
We are very fortunate here as we have 2 feed stores within 25 miles of us that will buy roosters, or trade for feed. They sell them to people who want to eat a fresh chicken and take care of the dirty deed themselves, or to people who are looking for a rooster for their flock. Most pure bred roosters are sold to people needing a flock rooster. One place gives you $5, but the other one will trade for a 50 lb. sack of feed, which can be up to $15, a much better deal, but it's got to be an obvious pure bred bird. You have to do what you have to do I suppose, but I don't envy you. I've done it in the past but don't anymore either. Check around, maybe you can find such a feed store in your area. Good Luck :hugs

Ted Brown

Songster
Dec 12, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
Lestor (remaining and selected cockerel) has his flock to himself and I am certain the ladies will be better for it.

Waiting until dark to capture the boys made things much easier, we had tried to catch them a couple of days back and all it did was upset everyone. Thanks once again to @aart for her link to the YouTube video, I had watched it a number of times for pointers and refreshed myself just before the deed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom