Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Today I caught 3 of my 4 cockerels cornering one of my ISA pullets. A few days back I noticed that the ISA pullets were looking a bit ragged, the thought crossed my mind that the cockerels had matured beyond the point where the ladies were safe, today confirmed that.

I made a number of calls today, none of the local chicken processors are in operation yet (June is their start up date) so it is down to me. I have not had to deal with something like this in the past. I have done the research, the YouTubes and have steeled myself; will wait until after dark to make catching them easier and hopefully less traumatic on the flock (??? me being a softie). I have discussed with my sister over the past six weeks which one the four we will keep so that part is out of the way.

I have the flock for the eggs that are given but have also enjoyed them all as they grew. Not easy but has to be done.

Lestor (remaining and selected cockerel) has his flock to himself and I am certain the ladies will be better for it.

Waiting until dark to capture the boys made things much easier, we had tried to catch them a couple of days back and all it did was upset everyone. Thanks once again to @aart for her link to the YouTube video, I had watched it a number of times for pointers and refreshed myself just before the deed.

The broomstick video?
So did you get a good snap while leaving head attached to body?

Yes the broomstick video. Difficult to not think on the negative but this morning's calm helped. Usually I go out to a cacophony of crows and often a scramble as one of the pullets gets chased.

Yes to the snap and head still attached, waiting for the reflexes to subside was worrying as I thought I may not have done things properly, soon over and the 2nd 3rd were easier. I popped them into empty feed bags (I thought that appropriate) for the night only saw a small bit of blood on one of the bags this morning.

Next time will be easier and I will do my best to time it such that I can benefit through broth or soup.

Thank you for the constant guidance.

I have no idea how hard it is to travel in 4ft of snow but if it's possible, load up the car and seek out those in need.

Douglas, you obviously have experiences that cause you to encourage this course and I respect you for making the suggestion.

At the moment Canada is moving toward a lock down because of the novo corona virus. In the province where I live the Premier has asked all persons over 70 (me) to remain at home until further notice; all public venues are closed and "social distancing" is the proscribed behaviour. The federal government has advised all Canadians abroad to return home even if it means changing current plans; shortly borders will be closed to travelers from certain locations; returning flights are being funneled to a small number of selected airports where people are screened, those that show signs are being taken to designated locations where they will stay for 14 days, those that do not show signs are being advised to "self quarantine" for 14 days.

Yes I said I live in Canada NOT China.

Last edited:
This morning there is an eerie calm and quiet in my coop. It seems to me that they know something has changed and are figuring it out. There is no swarming of the food dispensers.

Lestor (my remaining cockerel) is strutting about but not taking advantage; my sister who was here for the past six weeks watched all four of the cockerels carefully and described Lestor as the gentleman who encouraged the pullets into the nests, watched over them carefully and otherwise did what roosters are intended to do. He was also the biggest so we hope he will become the lookout and protector

I have taken the drive and placed the others where wildlife can benefit, expect that any sign will have disappeared by end of day.

I went to the coop this morning, everyone outside in the run below. Lestor (lone cockerel) is first to come in, looks at me, turns around to the pop door, stamps his right foot (ok maybe a bit of a scratch) to call the girls in.

They think I have a treat but really only there to pickup the drop board.

Hilarious. All is good (and ordered) in the House of Lestor!

You could set up a separate area for the extra cockerels for now, waiting until June.
Or, is there a wildlife rehab near you who would want them for food?
I'm not a fan of home butchering either, it's so messy! We used to do it, but not any more.
It is a useful skill to have though. Skinning is easier than plucking.
Mary

All of gods creatures need to eat .Hope you fed them to something .I let the buzzards have all my dead chickens. Culling cockreals is just part of having poultry .I use a dip net to catch with .Makes catching a easy task.

It was just before 10pm here. Tomorrow morning I will take a drive and find a location away from my property and others and leave them for any wild animals that want a meal (lots of those about). At the moment they are locked in the garage as I do not want to attract predators.

Having to discard birds you have raised since hatching is always tough. But as you have found, the extra boys raise a lot of ruckus and cause the hens issues - and soon they would be fighting with each other as well. Since I do not care to eat birds I have raised (just loose my appetite when I try), and have never had any luck posting extra cockerels, they end up feeding the local wildlife, or go to a local wildlife rehabber. And while the act of killing them is unpleasant, they at least provide some critter a good meal.
Sounds like you made a good job of it.

Back
Top Bottom