First Negative Day with my Flock.

If there are any homeless people or those who are down on their luck in your area then why not give them your excess birds.
I'm sure they will appreciate your generosity.

I am in the country, posted three ads in the nearest town - local Canadian Tire (home and automotive), the feed and grocery stores. Up for more than a week, no calls.

Good suggestion I wish someone had called.

Thanks once again to @aart for her link to the YouTube video, I had watched it a number of times for pointers and refreshed myself just before the deed.
The broomstick video?
So did you get a good snap while leaving head attached to body?

Hard not to think of killing a bird(s) as a negative...
...but culling of cockerels is actually a positive in flock management.
Kudos for difficult but good flock management @Ted Brown .

Update:

My coop is now calm and peaceful.

No running about dodging cockerel pecks and worse; they stroll. Lestor struts slowly, erect, eyes about, managing. No jamming at the feeders/waters. Yesterday everyone was in the run, enjoying spring weather.

Remember that these are all new experiences. I thought get rid of teenage boys, did not know the outcome would be this good.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I just processed 7 extra roosters because of that but still have 7 roosters. Three are normal size, the rest are bantys. I may have to build a bachelor pad for the extras since I have no more room in the freezer. A couple hens are in the quarantine pen reciveeing from no feathers at all on thier backs syndrome.

You could set up a separate area for the extra cockerels for now, waiting until June.
Or, is there a wildlife rehab near you who would want them for food?
I'm not a fan of home butchering either, it's so messy! We used to do it, but not any more.
It is a useful skill to have though. Skinning is easier than plucking.
Mary

Good thoughts Mary thanks.

I do not have any space to be able to separate and we still have 3-4' of snow so not easy to throw something together. Had not thought of a Wildlife Center I will do some digging. I will not butcher just putting them down and disposing. Had hoped this would not happen until Spring was here.

We are very fortunate here as we have 2 feed stores within 25 miles of us that will buy roosters, or trade for feed. They sell them to people who want to eat a fresh chicken and take care of the dirty deed themselves, or to people who are looking for a rooster for their flock. Most pure bred roosters are sold to people needing a flock rooster. One place gives you $5, but the other one will trade for a 50 lb. sack of feed, which can be up to $15, a much better deal, but it's got to be an obvious pure bred bird. You have to do what you have to do I suppose, but I don't envy you. I've done it in the past but don't anymore either. Check around, maybe you can find such a feed store in your area. Good Luck :hugs

Douglas, you obviously have experiences that causes you to encourage this course and I respect you for making the suggestion.

At the moment Canada is moving toward a lock down because of the novo corona virus. In the province where I live the Premier has asked all persons over 70 (me) to remain at home until further notice; all public venues are closed and "social distancing" is the proscribed behaviour. The federal government has advised all Canadians abroad to return home even if it means changing current plans; shortly borders will be closed to travelers from certain locations; returning flights are being funneled to a small number of selected airports where people are screened, those that show signs are being taken to designated locations where they will stay for 14 days, those that do not show signs are being advised to "self quarantine" for 14 days.

Yes I said I live in Canada NOT China.
It's the same here. We have decided to self quarantine as husband has COPD, & takes breathing treatments at home daily. I am quite healthy, but over 70 as well. We aren't going to church (many churches have decided to go "online only" for the next few weeks), schools are closed, paper products are hard to come by as well. This is no fun, but I feel pretty safe up here in the mountains, 25 miles from town. Our nearest neighbor is 20 acres from us too. I sell eggs and am open for business, but it's very slow right now. We have no snow, I refused to live where it snows, so husband and I compromised in a lower elevation! We hope for the best for you and me! My son and I have decided to have a bbq to feed the homeless that live by the river, but now is not the time for that. We will pursue that in late summer if this virus clears by then. :hmm

... we still have 3-4' of snow ...

¡Aye Caramba! What a difference a 45 minute drive makes. I'm on the western edge of Aylmer and we are down to maybe a foot with grass exposed where it's sunny. I was thinking of moving up your way or near Portage-du-Fort after my working days end. I need to keep in mind the heavier snowfalls and later falls.

It's too bad you had to take out birds for doing what they do and being who they are. It's a good lesson even for those of us in suburbia who cannot have roosters. These tough decisions have to be made as you have demonstrated. We just don't see it. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom