Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Today I caught 3 of my 4 cockerels cornering one of my ISA pullets. A few days back I noticed that the ISA pullets were looking a bit ragged, the thought crossed my mind that the cockerels had matured beyond the point where the ladies were safe, today confirmed that.

I made a number of calls today, none of the local chicken processors are in operation yet (June is their start up date) so it is down to me. I have not had to deal with something like this in the past. I have done the research, the YouTubes and have steeled myself; will wait until after dark to make catching them easier and hopefully less traumatic on the flock (??? me being a softie). I have discussed with my sister over the past six weeks which one the four we will keep so that part is out of the way.

I have the flock for the eggs that are given but have also enjoyed them all as they grew. Not easy but has to be done.

I feel your pain. I just processed 7 extra roosters because of that but still have 7 roosters. Three are normal size, the rest are bantys. I may have to build a bachelor pad for the extras since I have no more room in the freezer. A couple hens are in the quarantine pen reciveeing from no feathers at all on thier backs syndrome.

You could set up a separate area for the extra cockerels for now, waiting until June.
Or, is there a wildlife rehab near you who would want them for food?
I'm not a fan of home butchering either, it's so messy! We used to do it, but not any more.
It is a useful skill to have though. Skinning is easier than plucking.
Mary

You could set up a separate area for the extra cockerels for now, waiting until June.
Or, is there a wildlife rehab near you who would want them for food?
I'm not a fan of home butchering either, it's so messy! We used to do it, but not any more.
It is a useful skill to have though. Skinning is easier than plucking.
Mary

Good thoughts Mary thanks.

I do not have any space to be able to separate and we still have 3-4' of snow so not easy to throw something together. Had not thought of a Wildlife Center I will do some digging. I will not butcher just putting them down and disposing. Had hoped this would not happen until Spring was here.

We are very fortunate here as we have 2 feed stores within 25 miles of us that will buy roosters, or trade for feed. They sell them to people who want to eat a fresh chicken and take care of the dirty deed themselves, or to people who are looking for a rooster for their flock. Most pure bred roosters are sold to people needing a flock rooster. One place gives you $5, but the other one will trade for a 50 lb. sack of feed, which can be up to $15, a much better deal, but it's got to be an obvious pure bred bird. You have to do what you have to do I suppose, but I don't envy you. I've done it in the past but don't anymore either. Check around, maybe you can find such a feed store in your area. Good Luck :hugs

Lestor (remaining and selected cockerel) has his flock to himself and I am certain the ladies will be better for it.

Waiting until dark to capture the boys made things much easier, we had tried to catch them a couple of days back and all it did was upset everyone. Thanks once again to @aart for her link to the YouTube video, I had watched it a number of times for pointers and refreshed myself just before the deed.

Back
Top Bottom