First Negative Day with my Flock.

Thanks once again to @aart for her link to the YouTube video, I had watched it a number of times for pointers and refreshed myself just before the deed.
The broomstick video?
So did you get a good snap while leaving head attached to body?

Hard not to think of killing a bird(s) as a negative...
...but culling of cockerels is actually a positive in flock management.
Kudos for difficult but good flock management @Ted Brown .

Having to discard birds you have raised since hatching is always tough. But as you have found, the extra boys raise a lot of ruckus and cause the hens issues - and soon they would be fighting with each other as well. Since I do not care to eat birds I have raised (just loose my appetite when I try), and have never had any luck posting extra cockerels, they end up feeding the local wildlife, or go to a local wildlife rehabber. And while the act of killing them is unpleasant, they at least provide some critter a good meal.
Sounds like you made a good job of it.

The broomstick video?
So did you get a good snap while leaving head attached to body?

Yes the broomstick video. Difficult to not think on the negative but this morning's calm helped. Usually I go out to a cacophony of crows and often a scramble as one of the pullets gets chased.

Yes to the snap and head still attached, waiting for the reflexes to subside was worrying as I thought I may not have done things properly, soon over and the 2nd 3rd were easier. I popped them into empty feed bags (I thought that appropriate) for the night only saw a small bit of blood on one of the bags this morning.

Next time will be easier and I will do my best to time it such that I can benefit through broth or soup.

Thank you for the constant guidance.

... we still have 3-4' of snow ...

¡Aye Caramba! What a difference a 45 minute drive makes. I'm on the western edge of Aylmer and we are down to maybe a foot with grass exposed where it's sunny. I was thinking of moving up your way or near Portage-du-Fort after my working days end. I need to keep in mind the heavier snowfalls and later falls.

It's too bad you had to take out birds for doing what they do and being who they are. It's a good lesson even for those of us in suburbia who cannot have roosters. These tough decisions have to be made as you have demonstrated. We just don't see it. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
¡Aye Caramba! What a difference a 45 minute drive makes. I'm on the western edge of Aylmer and we are down to maybe a foot with grass exposed where it's sunny. I was thinking of moving up your way or near Portage-du-Fort after my working days end. I need to keep in mind the heavier snowfalls and later falls.

I am up on the escarpment about 20 minutes north of Shawville, also in a forested area so sun does not penetrate as much. I would say we are 2-4 weeks behind in the Spring so yes something to consider.

I was into Ottawa on Friday and noted how much less snow there was on the way down.

Yes the broomstick video. Difficult to not think on the negative but this morning's calm helped. Usually I go out to a cacophony of crows and often a scramble as one of the pullets gets chased.

Yes to the snap and head still attached, waiting for the reflexes to subside was worrying as I thought I may not have done things properly, soon over and the 2nd 3rd were easier. I popped them into empty feed bags (I thought that appropriate) for the night only saw a small bit of blood on one of the bags this morning.

Next time will be easier and I will do my best to time it such that I can benefit through broth or soup.

Thank you for the constant guidance.

I have so much respect for you. Nice job. Keeping things alive is not always merciful. Everybody dies. There is nothing wrong with killing respectfully for the peace of the flock. So far I have given away trouble birds for free to be eaten, but I always feel that they would rather die at home. Maybe next time I'll be able to follow your example.

Update:

My coop is now calm and peaceful.

No running about dodging cockerel pecks and worse; they stroll. Lestor struts slowly, erect, eyes about, managing. No jamming at the feeders/waters. Yesterday everyone was in the run, enjoying spring weather.

Remember that these are all new experiences. I thought get rid of teenage boys, did not know the outcome would be this good.

Last edited:
Update:

My coop is now calm and peaceful.

No running about dodging cockerel pecks and worse; they stroll. Lestor struts slowly, erect, eyes about, managing. No jamming at the feeders/waters. Yesterday everyone was in the run, enjoying spring weather.

Remember that these are all new experiences. I thought get rid of teenage boys, did not know the outcome would be this good.
Yes!! :highfive:
This is what balances out the 'negative'.

Back
Top Bottom