First Night, Fright Night in the Coop

Cajunfilly

Chirping
Apr 6, 2015
Every beautiful day I was taking my month old chicks to the run. They would jump, stretch, run, race, and play "Chase" and "Keep Away from my Worm (or pine needle or whatever). They would explore the ladder and look into the coop. They had so much fun that you could tell they loved it. As they approached 8 weeks old, they were letting me know that they had had ENOUGH and I mean ENOUGH of their brooder. My husband and I worked to get the coop ready which included a small electric fence around the enclosed coop and run. The day came. That evening I moved the chicks from the run to the coop. I made sure they had a little night light and a little night snack if needed. Around 4:00 am, we heard something, but it was not until daylight that we found out what had happened. A large dead tree behind our property had fallen taking out a corner of our chain link fence of our garden where the chicks were. A branch damaged the coop. A hole was poked through the roof and the large side door was off. My husband was afraid that they had escaped out of the coop, but he found our little frightened flock huddled together safely in a corner. They were put in the run as we prepared to work on the damage. One of my girlfriends said, "You tried to protect them from animals and a tree tried to take them out," which made me laugh. In the morning with the damage, we felt trauma and despair. My husband worked to repair the coop and our neighbors helped cut up the tree and get it out of the yard. We were feeling much better as we were on the mend. By evening, with all fixed except the chain link fence. we counted our blessings. We realized that the damage could have been so much worse so we were thankful and rejoiced.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom