First Night in COOP!

Definitely needs some since the window isn't even open for air flow. Best place to consider placing some would be on the wall facing inside the run area as the roof will help provide some climate protection. For any walls that you might want to put vents on that aren't under protection of a roof overhang, louvered covers (like you see in gable vents) can be a good choice. Like I'd consider placing one on each side at the highest point of the roof peak, so you get some cross flow of air.

As far as the latches they should be switched out for something that requires more steps to open, such as a latch like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HJ5B1LZ/ref=emc_b_5_i or this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BR34LY6/ref=emc_b_5_i with a carabiner hooked through the hole to keep it from being easily flipped open.

I would also consider an apron around the entire perimeter as rats/mice can very easily burrow under a relatively short barrier provided by the 2x4s/stones.
Ok thank you!

Just got the chicks in coop for the night...they literally try to run out each time I shut the door as I put one in each time...does that mean they hate it? Scared? Both? Will it just take time?
Cuz I'm not able to get them from within the run, I had them out in their playpen and was just sticking them into the top portion of coop.
Til they get used to this should I make a small ladder ramp for the outside door of coop to try and encourage them to go in the outside door?
Thank yall for your patience with me!

At this point, they're probably scared as it's new to them and they're just not used to it since they're spending most/all the day in the run.

The existing ramp also looks a bit steep, you can reduce the angle by propping up the end that's on the grass on top of a cinderblock or paver.
Ok thank you!!!
Since I'm not able to let them into the run in order to go to the coop (without crawling in and sitting them up in there) should I do a separate ramp for the outside so they can learn to go up ramp and into the enclosed coop area?

Ok thank you!!!
Since I'm not able to let them into the run in order to go to the coop (without crawling in and sitting them up in there) should I do a separate ramp for the outside so they can learn to go up ramp and into the enclosed coop area?
That should work fine, just mind the angle with that as well.

That should work fine, just mind the angle with that as well.
You aren't gonna believe this!
I had em all outside the run so I could round em up to go in coop for the night.
They were all cuddled up and ready before it was even getting dark. So I tried to get them to fly up - silkies just stretched their necks n looked, but polish flew up!
Then I grabbed 2 silkies and put them in coop...but quickly discovered I had forgotten to close the door to the run from the coop! Oh me!
So did it all again and they were all in except 1 silkie and she kept hearing them and looking but refused to come to me.
I tapped on the coop door where the run ramp is and cracked the door so she could see others and she climbed the ramp and went in on her own!!!
I sang a "hallelujah!"

Back
Top Bottom