First Night in COOP!

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
My babies First time in the coop all night! They are almost 5 weeks old and loaded with feathers.
But...I'm really worried...
  1. Is the coop area too small?
  2. Are they gonna be ok without the security of the garage and fenced in cage area they've been in past four weeks?
  3. Are they gonn be warm enough?
I've been weaning them off heat lamp for 2 weeks...and our weather is 70s at night 80s plus during the day.
We added on to the run portion of coop today so excited to see how this goes!

Attachments

• Snapchat-900339167.jpg
    Snapchat-900339167.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 37
1. How many birds are there, what breeds, and what are exact measurements of the coop portion MINUS the nest boxes? Is there any other ventilation other than the 1 small window on the side we're seeing (is that even open or is it glass?)

2. It depends. Did you reinforce this set up at all? The locks are not raccoon proof. Is there an apron around the perimeter or just the concrete blocks? Is the coop anchored down (recently someone's coop was simply flipped over by a bear)?

3. Yes, your temps are quite warm. Which makes the ventilation question even more important.

1. How many birds are there, what breeds, and what are exact measurements of the coop portion MINUS the nest boxes? Is there any other ventilation other than the 1 small window on the side we're seeing (is that even open or is it glass?)

2. It depends. Did you reinforce this set up at all? The locks are not raccoon proof. Is there an apron around the perimeter or just the concrete blocks? Is the coop anchored down (recently someone's coop was simply flipped over by a bear)?

3. Yes, your temps are quite warm. Which makes the ventilation question even more important.
There r 4 total...1 polish and 3 silkies
I wondered about the little window when we were assembling it...it is like thick plastic or something.
We have an additional fence around our property and live in a subdivision.
We did take the chicken wire on down on the new extension of the run. Other than that there are 2x4s underneath the coop piece as well as the stones.
Ventilation has been my concern as well...but unsure of how to go about it without destroying the coop itself.

Ventilation has been my concern as well...but unsure of how to go about it without destroying the coop itself.
Definitely needs some since the window isn't even open for air flow. Best place to consider placing some would be on the wall facing inside the run area as the roof will help provide some climate protection. For any walls that you might want to put vents on that aren't under protection of a roof overhang, louvered covers (like you see in gable vents) can be a good choice. Like I'd consider placing one on each side at the highest point of the roof peak, so you get some cross flow of air.

As far as the latches they should be switched out for something that requires more steps to open, such as a latch like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HJ5B1LZ/ref=emc_b_5_i or this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BR34LY6/ref=emc_b_5_i with a carabiner hooked through the hole to keep it from being easily flipped open.

I would also consider an apron around the entire perimeter as rats/mice can very easily burrow under a relatively short barrier provided by the 2x4s/stones.

Back
Top Bottom