First night in the coop...

RebelChief

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Brownsville, TX
Since the coop is all done I decided to move the babies in now because their brooder is too crowded. I put their food, water, mini perch and radiant heat plate in the coop and moved them in this morning. They seemed to enjoy exploring the new space. I don't have their auto opening door yet so I left the main door open (which is inside the enclosed run) and of course they waited until the last moment to want to go out into the run. Hope tomorrow they will get out and check out their new space. I added some grit to their run and was planning on introducing them to some meal worms tomorrow.

I am nervous but I know they are safe....just an over protecting chick mama I guess.

You aren't alone in being over protective. I still get nervous when my chicks first move into the coop, and I've been doing this for twelve years.

I'm sure your chicks are very happy to have all that wonderful space. I hope you've sealed everything against predators. That should be your biggest concern. How old are they?

Meanwhile, enjoy watching them enjoy their new digs!

You aren't alone in being over protective. I still get nervous when my chicks first move into the coop, and I've been doing this for twelve years.

I'm sure your chicks are very happy to have all that wonderful space. I hope you've sealed everything against predators. That should be your biggest concern. How old are they?

Meanwhile, enjoy watching them enjoy their new digs!

I'm glad I'm not alone. Every time my dogs bark I'm thinking oh no its a critter trying to get my babies. They are three weeks old now. I can't believe how fast they grow. The coop is locked up tight. Double locks on everything, no holes. I know it will be ok...I just hope I can sleep.

I’m sure they will be fine! I was nervous too and thought I was being paranoid. Then about a week after I moved them out there I saw a hawk trying fly to get them at the windows. It was crashing at the window over and over. Crazy! My coop held up and the hawk went away hungry! Hopefully the chicks learned also. We having closing shutters on the windows now also:).

Attachments

• 8AB024D0-D841-45DF-BBB3-B7003DF483B2.jpeg
    8AB024D0-D841-45DF-BBB3-B7003DF483B2.jpeg
    737.1 KB · Views: 5
I’m sure they will be fine! I was nervous too and thought I was being paranoid. Then about a week after I moved them out there I saw a hawk trying fly to get them at the windows. It was crashing at the window over and over. Crazy! My coop held up and the hawk went away hungry! Hopefully the chicks learned also. We having closing shutters on the windows now also:).

They seem to be doing well and love being in the coop/run. I have lots in there to keep them busy. They have a short cement ditch pipe that they love running through, a mirror, a xylophone, some perches, etc. I made them a dust bath in an old tire that someone dumped across the street from my driveway. They have a couple swings and things to climb on. Yep..they are spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom