First pip at 10 am this morning. Should I intervene?

JackieK318

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Missouri
This is my first hatch. The first chick is still moving. Membrane looks white toward the outside (what I can see). He/she first pipped the shell this morning around 10 am. Should I help him/her along? How long does the pipping and zipping typically take?

Nope, I would not interfere. It can take anywhere up to a full 24 hours for them to hatch. Hang in there..you should have a baby by morning. Good luck.

Jody

Thanks, Jody! I'll check them all out (six of fifteen) in the morning before I get ready for work. Tomorrow will be torture! I have to work and I have class, so I'll be gone from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. I need a bator-cam!

I put a bit more water in to increase the humidity from 71% to 80%. Hopefully this will help with the dry membranes and combat the humidity going out the vent.

Well, I have three babies, but not the one that pipped at 10 am on Monday. The chick is still moving, but the hole doesn't seem to be getting much larger. I'm concerned that I should do something before the chick gets exhausted and parishes.

Jackie, I came in just to see how your chick is doing. I am sorry to hear it didnt' hatch yet, but it is still possible. Especially as other chicks hatch and make noise, it might encourage the little one. I am not a believer in helping chicks hatch, but I will say it is an individual decision. If you really want to help, as long as you wait 24 hours after pip, you may be safe. But please be prepared that when chicks don't hatch on their own, they typically do not do well or have something wrong with them, which is why I dont' help anymore. Good luck and congrats on the babies that did hatch.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom