First predator Kill on my bird's

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a ton of feral cats and lots of chicks that we hatch out. The dogs keep the cats and other 4-footed predators as well as sky predators at bay.......they dare NOT come anywhere near the coops or barns. We also have barn cats who know from experience, if you try to catch our hatchlings, the dog(s) will make a meal outta ya. Cats are smart and got the message REAL QUICK!

Quote:

If you go back and actually read the original post, we are talking about Quails, NOT chickens. Quails live in cages, not coops.
roll.png

Anyway OP- I am sorry for your loss. Do what you gotta do.
smile.png

Im quite sure it's ok to have a quail in a coop at night for it's own safety....didn't know that wasn't allowed ! Come on........any chicken, bird, quail,duck, whatever, needs to be put up night so a predator doesn't get them....that cage was far from secure.....Im sorry for the loss of the bird, but we have to keep them safe, we've All lost birds, we learn from it

Quote:
I doubt if this is a cat, unless you,ve seen it. More likely coon.

Domestic cats if fed by owners will not attack any domestic animals.

I was never a cat person, but I aqdopted a young kitten last year, this cat was raised with small dog, canaries, quails, cockatiels and chickens, she completely ignores all of them and she is even scared of ducks and peacocks, although she will stand up to huge black racer snakes and other reptiles.

Last year i had 30 pullets in my new coop and in the morning disaster struck, i lost 9 the first day and 6 the next, after that i set out a live trap and i caught a huge coon with no tail!
wee.gif

I am a trapper the first thing I try with a cat is to live trap it and completely soak it we to the bone spray it with a water hose then I release it most times this is enough they do not return . the second time I spray it with skunk musk this usually gets the owner to keep the cat put up if this does not happen, the way to successfully SSS is to shut up first then shoot and shovel and not tell folks about it on the internet so it CAN be used against you
smile.png

I know cats are allowed to run loose and it irritates me to no end!
somad.gif
Cats should have to be kept contained just like any other animal. Why can't cat owners be mandated to make an "enclosed run" for their cats just like we have to keep our dogs or animals fenced in on our property??? We have to spend hundreds of dollars on fencing and containment for our pets...why not cat owners??? They could let their cats out in the run when they wanted to be outside and then let them back indoors. I think it's time to start pushing the law makers to rethink this issue. It has just been this way forever and no one will consider the issue. They crap in my flower beds and menace my rabbits and chickens. What do others think about this? Thanks

pascopol said,

Domestic cats if fed by owners will not attack any domestic animals.

I beg to differ with you as I have watched my own cats who are well fed go after my chicks right after they ate. My fault that the chicks were put in harms way but to say a cat won't go after a domestic is just not true.

Love the skunk scent idea;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom