First predator Kill on my bird's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
If this cat shows up stinking of skunk there is not a chance these people will even bring it inside....they already don't care much about him or they wouldn't let him roam all over, so the chance of them keeping it in are nill because he got sprayed, he will be out for days or more which is worse

New here, so forgive me.. but I read so many posts before I made my coop/pen for my chickens. Over and over I saw that poultry fencing is no good because coons and things can get their paws through the holes. The screening has to be done with hardware cloth which I see you switched to for your new more secure coop. I would chalk this one up to a learning experience... And I saw it said earlier, if a cat was able to get at your chick, then many other predators would have been able to also... Luckily it was only one. Your new coop looks very secure (couldn't tell what the bottom is made of. And bringing them indoors at nite, if possible would solve any future predator problems. But I would imagine a secure enclosed coop for adult birds would be a good investment... especially if these birds make you money, you should treat them like gold and make sure they are in Fort Knox!
smile.png

I am also a cat owner of an indoor cat who I have purchased a harness and leash for. I will not let him run loose (he seems to not care about my chickens), because I have lost two cats in the long ago past to being hit by cars, and would not want another pet to be in danger that way... Obviously you might be in a more rural area where people feel they are not in danger of cars, but I would hope that any neighbor (especially when confronted with photographic evidence from your cam - great idea btw!) would try to work out something to keep their pets from being killed...

~Danielle
(new mama to three pullets in a suburban backyard)

UPDATE

Just spoke with my neighbor He said yes his cat was out that night/ early morning. He also stated his cat had some kind of bird skin it had brought in that it was licking. He also stated he saw his cat coming from my yard, and had been going to talk to me too see if it was one of mine. He showed me some feathers that matched these quail. He promises to keep his cat in the house during the night as much as possible. He offered to pay for the bird, and said "if you see him near your pens again take what ever action you need" I did get this all in writing as well as audio.

I turned down his offer to pay as it was only one bird. So Id say in a nut shell it all seems to have worked out with nothing else being harmed

Daren

Glad to hear that it was dealt with in a reasonable manner. Sounds like your neighbor is trying to be responsible for the cat, and it was good of him to offer to pay for the bird.

Glad to hear that you came to some agreement with out harm to the cat. I do see your point, I would be very angry if something like that happened even though I talked to the owner several times. That being said, you made me sick to think you would actually show that you killed a creature who was acting out of instinct on here, shame on you! I find that action disgusting at best. If you do do that I hope the mods ban you from this board and forum!

Please read the sticky at the top of this predators section and refer to the main rules regarding flaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
thanks ......I guess, but I have Pm's from a mod stating my same dislikes and nothing of me being banned. That being said Why is it OK to show a coyote , or a raccoon , or a opossum, or a fox, or another thing that kills our bird's, but when one person states they will post a pic of dirty CAT all H.... E double hockey sticks breaks lose sounds like a double standard too Me.... Just saying.

OH, AND BTW THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED WITH THE CRAP DUMB CAT OWNER !!!

Thanks
Daren

CariLyn, you have no right passing judgment on a situation you are not directly involved in. I would do exactly the same thing if a cat were decimating my flock and I would do it to my own barn cats if they started doing that. We kill coyotes, dogs-running-at-large, coons, skunks, possum, rodents etc., that take out our livestock, what precludes a cat from the same fate?

Judge not lest you be judged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom