First predator loss today...

green_thumb

Songster
Jan 29, 2019
Central Ohio
Today was a sad day. I came home on my lunch break to find my Sicilian buttercup beheaded in a cloud of feathers near our hedge :( head was bloody and looked like the crop was partially eaten, but no other injuries. She was still warm and I didn’t want her life to go to waste so I skinned her and sectioned off the breasts and legs to cook up for the dogs.

At first I thought it was a mink or weasel, but I saw a juvenile hawk sitting where she had been killed when I returned at the end of the day. Any thoughts?

I have a run but don’t have the roof on yet so I’ve been free-ranging them since May. I’m feeling very conflicted about if I want to continue free-ranging full-time or not. I know they only way to truly try and prevent predator losses is through confinement- but they just have such full lives getting to free-range. Ugh. Just wanted to talk to those that would understand.

So sorry!
It certainly could be that hawk, and confining your flock until he leaves will be your best option right now.
Whoever killed your bird will be back!!!
Do confine your birds for a while, fix that run so it's safer, and consider having a game camera out there.
Everyone loves chicken!!!
Mary

Definitely planning on confining them for a bit! Hope to get the roof done soon.

:hugsim sorry for your lost. Hawks definitely do what you say you saw. I would confine them for a bit because hawks don't stop unless you keep them out or hide your flock for a bit. You may see it circling around and looking in the next few days to a week.

I had a hawk incident twice this year. The first time it took my Cochin but she got free and fell very far to the ground. She had injuries but recovered. The hawk circled for about a week.

The second incident happened last week. My roosters chased it off and no one got injured. I have big jersey giants that are quite scary when mad. I think they just got lucky though.

I have a poultry net from amazon where mine free range is that something you could use
they have 4 sizes
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NLV43RT/?tag=backy-20

they will be back I am so sorry

Hmmm, we have about an acre lot with lots of trees and bushes scatted everywhere so I think this could only really work over the open field parts that the girls are smart enough to stay away from. Something to consider though!

Back
Top Bottom