1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JessicaThistle, Jun 10, 2014.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

She is still on the nest, should have babies a week from today if not sooner.

2. Morrigan

Morrigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    California
    Well my flock of 27 meaties became a flock of 26 today. I was in the house and heard the dogs going crazy. I ran to the chicken yard and found one of my CX laying next to the fence missing her head. We have an electric wire around the base of the fence so either some **** weasel sneaked under it, or my chicken was sticking her neck outside of the fence. I walked around and plugged up any possible places where something could have gotten under the electric wire. I confirmed in the process that the fence is still electrified. Ouch and ouch. Honestly, I don't know how that weasel got to that chicken.

I'm so mad. I had just finished nursing one CX with a hurt leg back to health and released her into the flock and was giving myself a pat on the back for having a 100% success rate. Nature is so humbling. It's such a waste too. Nothing but a bite or two on the neck was eaten. I thought about butchering the poor little carcass, but worried about contamination from whatever it was that killed her. I went back-and-forth on that, but decided that it was still a very small bird and wasn't worth the risk.

Anyway, I'm glad to read Jessica that you got your space for tractoring all those chickens. Something good is happening somewhere.

3. JessicaThistle

JessicaThistle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    Oregon
    Oh Morrigan, that stinks!! But, if anyone had 100% success rate with CX I would be in absolute awe of them! Nature is terribly humbling and so out of our control. I'd be putting out a trap that would snap that dang weasle or whatever for what he did! I don't know how old your little buggers are today but great job!!

Oh, the local space is awesome but not without it's roadblocks and monkey wrenches. I am just so super excited about reducing my daily round trip drive to do chicken care from 1 hour 40 minutes to 12 minutes ( 62 miles to 4.8) to care about the problems. Yeah, I mapped it. I'm that kind of person.

4. Morrigan

Morrigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    California
    They are just 5 weeks today, Jessica. Pretty much my favorite stage, as they are still spry enough to be running around the yard, but have now feathered out and looking very chicken-ish and pretty. I would guess they are between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 pounds. I'm trying to grow them a bit slower this year (thanks Ralphie), so I'm thinking for another 5 or 6 weeks before "harvest."

5. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Morrigan- I am sorry to hear about your CX! It is so frustrating when something like that happens.

Our meatballs will be in on Friday! I hope to wait to the end of June, beginning of July to process.

Turkey eggs are progressing! I am excited!! I will be out of town the weekend that they go into lockdown (poor timing on my part, but I was honestly hoping not to go...) so hopefully DH keeps a close eye on the humidity and temps for me! I will be home before their "scheduled" hatch, though.

Cricket (our only feed store impulse survivor) is outside now. Boy does she love following big chickens around! None of them pay her any mind, but she is quite determined to be part of the flock! I have her roaming with the gals during the day, then put her in the CX brooder at night, just incase she needs some extra warmth from the handy dandy heating pad cave!

6. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Woohoo so excited for you honey. Think of the extra time to just relax. Or do other stuff. [​IMG]

I went to see my Dr for the first time after rehab yesterday. Shook his hand and called him "My hero". He truly is. He's very pleased with my recovery and will see me in a month. I can drive. Yippee!!

Of course, my best friends right now are the pain pills. ha But that will get better.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  7. duluthralphie

I so want baby CX's!!!

I am trying to put off on getting them, because of the toads I hope to raise,,,,,, BUT soon I will have to go to Running's and get a couple (dozen) and find an incubator on close out! (NO ONE TELL THE DW ANYTHING DIFFERENT,,,,,IT WAS ON CLOSE OUT,,,,,GOT IT???)

1 person likes this.
  8. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Me, too!!!! The only thing is I have to invest in a freezer first. NO extra room in the fridge.

9. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I am really looking forward to getting ours on Friday! Of course, snow is in the forecast. Snowed last time I got them too. It has been upper 70's here as of late...

I am also very interested in your toads, Ralph. I really think you are on to something with the CX/Rainbow cross. My Rainbow happens to be white... easier plucking if everyone is white.
    I really want to make the meat raising we do more "economical" and "home grown"... It still comes up less, cost wise, than fancy gross chicken in the stores, but if we had a very nice, quiet, gentle roo...

Seriously, my hubs will probably divorce me if I try to keep a CX roo from the batch. But, maybe he will be a witty and cunning CX like Pearl was. Maybe he will find his way out of the processing area just in the nick of time...

10. duluthralphie

MM

Pretend to develop a very tight dependent relationship with a roo....

Bring it in the house, bathe it. Groom it, set a place for it at the table. Watch TV with it. Drink beer and talk to it. In other words make your hubby think you have went off your rocker. When he suggests you need help take him up on it.

When it is time for the "appointment" you leave, when you come back, (from Staples or Kinkos) you will have with you a very real looking doctors note saying you need continued counseling and under no circumstances should anything happen to the rooster as you are too fragile to deal with it now....

And PRESTO CHANGO!! You have a CX rooster.. and you get an hour-90 minutes to yourself to go where ever you want each week.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by