First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Quote:
Hey all, Just checking in. Every time I type that I have to correct the check from chick. ha. Ralph, they will lay eggs. Just not very many and you aren't gonna get many before spring. My birds are over 8 months old and 2 of the 4 are finally starting to lay. Man, that's a dry spell. I think it's the Coronation Sussex. It's almost white and the white rock. So I get 3-4 eggs a day counting the 2 blue egg layers. That's enough for us for now. Going to the surgeon on the 16th and he probably will do the surgery around the 1st. Don't know. But I've been waffling a LOT about having it done and it's apparent to me that I gotta. Don't want to, but the ol' knee keeps giving out and I stumble. Not good. Just for fun I put 3 of the blue eggs and a white one in with the Sebright eggs I got. Probably not fertile but I don't think the SeBrights are either. Not meant to be. I'm not a very religious person but sometimes God knocks me upside the head to get my attention. Need the surgery. lol I got my 2nd coop all fixed up for the laying pullets that I'm not buying yet, so I think I'll put the XW trio and the 2 black rock pullets together in it for the time being. It's a good fit. The blacks are about 3-4 mo old and total bottom of the pecking order. I hope that they don't get too rowdy to them. I'll have places to hide. They were in with the XW cockerel until about a month ago so maybe he'll back off. Jessica, hoping your birds will start laying. Winter is such a bummer. Do you have plenty of light? It took my rescue chickens about 10 days to stop dead with no light. I kept them for a couple of months with no way to get light to them before selling. I know better now and have a plug available.

Linda, that is interesting it took 8 months to get an egg. I should be getting eggs in march then.

sorry about the knee and surgery, I understand putting it off. I have a bad knee I had arthroscopic surgery on 6-7 years ago, it needs the real thing now as do my hips, But I keep thinking I am too young for those surgeries yet and I can get by. But I have found if I am kneeling or working on the floor or ground I cannot get up without pulling myself up by my left knee. I still can on my right though. Getting old is no fun.....But better than the alternative...

I posted this on the turkey talk thread, but they are not as fun people as this group is. I took this video this morning. One of my young Jakes was looking really hard for a girlfriend. I did not think of recording it sooner. It was so funny. He was being rebuked in every attempt he made. Kind of reminded me of my sad attempts to date 40 some years ago...

if I knew how I would have edited it to play to the song "looking for love in all the wrong places"...

0.jpg

So, I started following this post when it was itty bitty! Lol

Happy to say I FINALLY have my first batch of Cornish X on the way :)
I'm only doing 10, as a learning batch, and because we are in a suburb with close neighbors.

A group of us is going in on the order and then getting together for processing day, to kind of help each other through it.

Not to sound crass but...I'm excited! Lol.
Now...I have to avoid getting attached. I'll be keeping them in a separate pen (12x12) than my layers. But I'm planning on letting them out in the evening to explore and get some exercise ;)

Welcome and good luck.

It is hard to not get attached to these little guys. However, their main purpose in life, for the vast majority of them is to be food.

Try to not over feed them, you will get a bigger better healthier bird. The first week do not let them eat over a half an hour twice a day, it's hard to do but best for them..

Good luck!

I am cracking up here today! Not that that is unusual..

Ralph- Your young turkey is so funny! I can hear him uttering horrible pick up lines...

Holm- Yay for the broody! I hope you have two turkey and two ducks hatch out! How fun!

Brookshire11- Good luck with your first batch of meaties! It is hard not to get attached to these characters, but keep in mind; giving them a good life, no matter how short it is, is what counts. You and your processing group will likely also need booze to help console yourselves. :)

Nothing exciting here. It feels like spring. I am sure we will have an incredibly snowy March.
Pearl is too big to fit in the nest box. She has created her own in a dark corner of the coop... it is kind of cute.

Where is everyone today?!
I am a bit worried about Ralph... he has had a couple of run ins with the BYC swearing police... I thought he learned his lesson though. Hmm.

Pearl, my CX who "happened to escape" before being butchered, is officially laying. I have zeroed in on her eggs. I am so happy for her! But, in a weird way, is it like being excited for a girl to get her "aunt flow"?! I sure hope not.

And all the other gals have started back up laying, now that I have my timer figured out. 5 eggs from 8 hens today! Best day since November.

Hope everyone is okay...
big_smile.png

I am here!

I have been all alone on here today. I had a depressing day, I was on here and was reading other threads because NONE OF YOU were here.

The other threads were so depressing, every one out there seems to think CX's are messy dirty slobs. I read people that said they would not and could not live over 8-10 weeks. Another said they all have leg problems and are too lazy to move. They got no respect.

So I started drinking, I then decided I should step away from the computer, because as some of you know, I tend to cuss more when I drink. I do not want double secret special probation again.

I was also busy forming the Backyard Chickens chapter of Cornish Cross Bred Chickens Lovers Anti-Disparagement Truth Tellers and Protection Service United States Fraternal Order Online Division.

We call it the BCCCCBCLADTTPSUSFOOD for short. It is amazing how that acronym just rolls of the tongue.

I was trying to correct the common errors but found people not real willing to listen or believe them. On the good side after many cans of high quality Mike's Black cherry lemonade I no longer carried ifthey believed me or not....

I talked to Zooman today, he suggested I breed the babies I get from Bert and the Cx's back to the Cx's it is called line breeding which I do not understand because I know of a family north of me about 40 miles that all went to prison for the same thing. Who knew it is a good way to strengthen traits.

We had a snow storm here all day so I got nothing done, and my DW hid the tools I needed to work on the house remodel. Anyways I just thought I should report in and relay my days accomplishments.... Oh and I caught up on Justified.

Where are all of you?

It is getting lonely in here.

I wanted to let you all know I am seeing a divorce lawyer today.... MY wife failed to correctly mark the correct 6 numbers on the powerball computer entry form. This is not the first time she has done this! She was feigning indignity when I asked her " just how (Lets agree I said ) gosh darn hard can it be to mark the correct 6 numbers?"

I knew I had made an error then, as I felt my hot coffee stinging my leg. She can move quite fast for an old lady.

Being the open minded person I am, I looked into the possibility she did nothing wrong, so I called the powerball people and asked them about the possibility they drew or read the numbers on those little balls wrong. They assured me they did not, however I am sure I heard them laughing at my misery when they hung up rudely.

Anyways, where are you people? This is our bar and grill, I need your company in my hours of need.....

Back
Top Bottom