First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

I would have taken out the bully instead of the victim.   I have a Yokohama cockerel that was a bully. He is way to small to eat, but I moved him into the Guinea Gulag.   He is no longer a bully.   He is waiting for the Nice Asian lady to make a trip out with her plastic lined trunk to haul him away.  Once the instigated was gone the pen became calm again.

They drew blood so it was a loosing battle after that. With a tractor full of CXs it's hard to say if there was just one bully.

some of the saipan hybrid leg quarters going into a gumbo

Woohoo! I got my babies today and so far a success! I chose to pick up at the hatchery because it was less than an hour away. If I had them shipped, due to where I am located, they would have been shipped an hour north to the USPS plant and then back south to me 3 hours away. Just too much stress if you ask me!

This is in the car on the way home. 30 plus our special 1 extra for good measure = 31 babies. (We are excited for the 1 extra because we wanted to start with 25 but ordered 30 for good measure).
lol.png

So, we got home, took each chick out one at a time and dipped their beaks in the water before setting them down. It was really neat how they seemed to just all of a sudden react and take a drink. You could feel their little bodies respond and they got it!

This is after everyone was dunked and a few minutes of shaking the newness off.

They found the food and explored the brooder with no problems. After a few days we will move the waterer over near the back right corner of the brooder where you can see the orange bucket with the nipples to transition them to that watering system if they don't find it on their own.

We weighed 4 of the chicks randomly and they weighed 1.4 oz, 1.5 oz and two weighed 1.7 oz. They were born yesterday and are one day old. We plan to do a weekly weigh in of 4 random chicks.

This was a straight run batch and we can see lots of tiny little combs on many of the chicks. We hope that will make things easier in 8 weeks because it is really hard to believe these little cuties are raised for the table at this point.

Did you order from Jenks?

Back
Top Bottom