First time Ameraucana Owner- my lady suddenly stopped laying

phoenicianchick

Hatching
Jan 4, 2016
My Ameraucana hen started laying towards the end of Decemeber (we purchased a batch of chicks at the beginning of May). Ever since her first egg appeared, she has laid regularly every other day...up until about week ago. We live in AZ so weather is usually pretty mild but she even kept laying through two relatively brutal weeks of cold. The weather is now starting to warm up (went from lows in the 70's to now high 80's-low 90's within a couple days).

They have fresh water, plenty of layer crumble plus they free range, and none of my other 5 laying hens (BR, WS, OE) have stopped producing. She doesn't seem to be molting, I've checked for all signs of disease; negative. Could she just be on one of the 'breaks' I have read about? This is the first flock of chickens I have ever had and she's my only mature Ameraucana so any help would be immensely grateful! The only strange part is that she had always laid in the coop...then I found a random egg in my herb box and that was the last one I've received from her (and yes I have searched the back yard up and down for any hiding places).

welcome-byc.gif
She may be taking a break or she may have found a spot to make a hidden nest. Is it possible to keep the hens in the coop until noon and then observe them when you let them out? If she has a nest she may lead you to it.

Back
Top Bottom