First time broodiness help

Vanitychickens

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
Ok so my hens have been sneaking away after they eat there food and arent in the coop at night finally found where they were hiding and nesting and want to know how long till they hatch is it ok if i touch them or possibly move them to a safer location and 1 girl gots 7-8 eggs and stopped laying and the other one has 3 and stopped laying she broke 2 .
-im not the type to take her babies away so if they wants natural ill let them thanks for any help♥️

Standard incubation time is 21 days, +/- 2 days. You can move them, after dark they are less likely to mind. They may give up brooding if you do, though. I recommend keeping each in a coop + yard to themselves. This will prevent confuzion between them and prevent them going back to their old nest holes.

Anyway, throw out the broken ones.

Set up a Brooder pen with a nest built and put in the eggs. Provide feed and water. Put Hen in the Brooder pen. She will find the eggs and settle back on them. It doesn't need to be a huge pen either.
In probably less than 21 days she will have Chicks if eggs are fertile and viable. You can Candle the eggs to see if worth allowing her to set.
The other Hen I'd break her broodiness and lock her back into the Run for a few days.

Set up a Brooder pen with a nest built and put in the eggs. Provide feed and water. Put Hen in the Brooder pen. She will find the eggs and settle back on them. It doesn't need to be a huge pen either.
In probably less than 21 days she will have Chicks if eggs are fertile and viable. You can Candle the eggs to see if worth allowing her to set.
The other Hen I'd break her broodiness and lock her back into the Run for a few days.
Ok thsnk you for your help

Standard incubation time is 21 days, +/- 2 days. You can move them, after dark they are less likely to mind. They may give up brooding if you do, though. I recommend keeping each in a coop + yard to themselves. This will prevent confuzion between them and prevent them going back to their old nest holes.

Anyway, throw out the broken ones.
Ok thanks tho and ill just leave them where they are i dont i wanna chance it i dont got a incubator if they do give up brooding and the chicks are 10-11 days old in the eggs i think

I move mine,too. Once they are stuck on the nest I haven't had any issues. You know those covered cat boxes? I use the cover to put over the nest to make them feel more secure. Then they get a bottomless cage so I can give them food and water,they can walk around and none of the other hens can bug them.

I move mine,too. Once they are stuck on the nest I haven't had any issues. You know those covered cat boxes? I use the cover to put over the nest to make them feel more secure. Then they get a bottomless cage so I can give them food and water,they can walk around and none of the other hens can bug them.
Ok thsnk youuu sm that helpss alottt

Back
Top Bottom