First time brooding, how am I doing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Susanhen, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Susanhen

Susanhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Hey all, I've been keeping hens for a year now and decided to try my hand at raising chicks. I set up my brooder in my sliding glass door bathtub. Temp directly under the lamp is 98 degrees, at the far end its mid 70's. Picked up 5 Dominique's and an Ameraucana this morning. It's been 8 hours and so far so good, anything that looks like it may need changed?
    [​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Looks good to me!

1 person likes this.
  3. jstanard

jstanard Just Hatched

Aug 8, 2016
    Look happy. Not huddled right under heat. Good job!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    They look good. I think I'd move the water and feed down to the far end in a day or so. I'd also drop the temp under the lamp down to 90 - 95 tomorrow, and keep it around 90 for the rest of the first week. They'll let you know if they get cold. IMO the 90 - 95 the first week and dropping 5*/week is far too conservative. They can, and most likely will do better with a bit less heat. You can also start weaning them off from heat in the second week. Turn the lamp off for a bit each day. They will let you know if they are cold. By 3 weeks, they very well may not need any heat at all inside during the day.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    2 people like this.
  5. Susanhen

Susanhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the feedback! I planned on moving the water and food down once I was sure they understood what to do with it. They've been regulating their heat very well, often napping in a semicircle 6 inches or so from the center of the hot spot [​IMG]. Will play with the lamp distance tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by