First time brooding

GerobakAyam

Chirping
Apr 6, 2020
Hi Folks, first post here. I live in the Seattle, WA.
I got my first two hens a few months ago, and it was so much that I decided to get 4 baby chicks. they are cinnamon queen. They are about 1 week old.
Can you guys please give me input of my setup? Is there anything that looks definitely wrong?
My setup is a diy feeder and waterer, heating plate, and nest cam. The temperature under the plate is about 80 F. I put them in a garage, which kinda worrying me if It is too cold.
These chicks have occupied my mind 24/7. It is kinda addicting! Haha

Attachments

• 884A7229-48EB-4466-9CD4-5CA32B93B5D0.jpeg
    884A7229-48EB-4466-9CD4-5CA32B93B5D0.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 65D117E5-D3FE-40A1-865F-6D618EC0D96A.jpeg
    65D117E5-D3FE-40A1-865F-6D618EC0D96A.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 27A09771-EFB5-4DDE-90BD-D4BA37E07A3E.png
    27A09771-EFB5-4DDE-90BD-D4BA37E07A3E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Hi there! Love seeing g the brooder plate in place of heat lamp heating, especially in a tote brooder as they really hold heat from lamps, good job!
The tote you are housing is a bit small. Chicks grow FAST and they need room to be active in and stay out of each other's way as feeling overcrowded can contribute to some very unwanted behavior issues. I would look for something at least twice the current size (they make totes that are about 4x2). You will also want to fashion a top, can be a simple piece of poultry netting layed over the top provided you dont need to keep things out, just keep the chicks in. They will be flying up to, and over, the top of the tote in short order and arent great at reversing that process to return to safety, warmth, food.
Dont worry too much about the thermometer reading-watch your chicks. Books, etc are full of charts about how warm chicks "have" to be, but chicks don't read those.....chicks I brood consistently demonstrate they prefer temps cooler than what they are supposed to need.

Thing do look good. Only thing of concern would be the temperature. Since you did mention that they are in your garage. I do not know what temperature is in the ambient there. At 80° under the plate, should be satisfactory for one week old.
Here is a copy and paste of suggested temperature settings, and reduction by weekly setting.
Start the brooder temperature at approximately 95°F (35°C) and reduce it approximately 5°F (3°C) each week until the brooder temperature is the same as ambient temperature. Within the chicks' comfort zone, the more quickly you reduce the heat level, the more quickly the chicks will feather out.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Hi Folks, first post here. I live in the Seattle, WA.
I got my first two hens a few months ago, and it was so much that I decided to get 4 baby chicks. they are cinnamon queen. They are about 1 week old.
Can you guys please give me input of my setup? Is there anything that looks definitely wrong?
My setup is a diy feeder and waterer, heating plate, and nest cam. The temperature under the plate is about 80 F. I put them in a garage, which kinda worrying me if It is too cold.
These chicks have occupied my mind 24/7. It is kinda addicting! Haha
I'm not a complex person, I really like it cool and simple. So, If your gonna ask me, I don't see anything wrong about your setup. I think its just fine.

Back
Top Bottom