First Time Building a Coop :) lots of pics (on a budget)

ozarkchicks

Songster
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Well to start with we had to draw out some plans...these probably aren't the exact way the coop will turn out but it was a start

We are on a budget so we are using as much stuff that we have laying around as possible. For that reason we designed a coop that uses cattle fence panels (we had a few sitting around the property).

We went to the lumber store and got two 2 x 4 x 8 and two 2 x 4 x 10. Using those we made a base frame that was 10' x 8'. You can see it in the above picture. We had some scrap 2 x 4 laying around so using one that was 7' long and one that was 4' long we made a base for the actual coop in the back left corner. We took two cattle fence panels and put them in the base so they formed a hoop, this will be the roof (see above). Then we wired the two cattle fence panels together (they overlapped a little in the center). So far this is what our coop looks like. Simple but only cost about $15 so far (but we only had to buy the 2 x 4s at this point).

To save even more money we found this old door made of wood (this is the back of it, the front looks nicer). We think it came from an old chicken coop or something like that. There were a couple spaces about an inch wide on the front and we didn't want predators getting in that way so we used wire mesh to cover the spaces (see in the picture) and stapled the mesh in place. So the door hasn't cost us anything yet ( we had wire mesh and staples at home).

Well that's it for now, a few hours and $15 later. I'll post with more later.

Oh yeah these are the baby chickies we are building a home for :) cute aren't they... 1 buff orpington named Buffy, 1 plymouth barred rock named Wobbles, 1 black sex link named Stretch, 1 cornish x named Cotton, and 1 cherry egger named Lil' Red

thats a cool coop and adorable chicks!
Ya man
bun.gif

well we got a chance to work on the coop some more today. we thought the door was too wide so we made it more narrow and then built a frame for it out of 2 x 4. we went to Lowe's and got some hinges and a simple latch and door handle. after we fastened the door onto it's frame we cut a piece of plywood to cover the space right above the door. the second picture is one of how we started using heavy duty 1" - 1.5" staples to fasten the cattle panel to the base. not a ton got done because it started raining. we plan on finishing up the framing next, hopefully later this week or this weekend

I'm curious what you are going to use to cover the hoop part? Building material is usually rigid-plywood, siding, pallets. Nice and big though. Neat door!

Looking good. Do you hammer in those staples? Yeah, what is the cover going to be??? If I had this I would use tarps and/or the thickest mil plastic,but these won't last but a few seasons. I might do that and over time get some rigid plastic roofing panels(one or 2 clear),and then cap it at the top where they would meet.That would leave a big open space though between the roofing panels and the cattle fencing.

Then again you could do a mix of straw,sand,cement and mud up the panels making a adobe type structure.Not sure how that would hold.Will be interesting to see how it turns out for you!

we hammered in the staples. we plan on covering the front half of it is using hardware cloth while the second half we plan on using metal roofing sheets

well after almost SIX hours of solid work today and 12 hands we finally finished. It took a lot of hard work but our chicks were getting big and we had to get it done. We still have to put an apron around the bottom of it and paint the nest boxes and such but that's it! was too dark to take pictures so I'll take some and put them up tomorrow if weather permits

Back
Top Bottom