First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

I realize this is like going to a crack house and asking them to stop me from buying crack but, I have 7 chicks ordered for May 18 and I have 4 in my cart at Meyers for May16th and the only thing stopping me is the fact that I'll be paying double shipping lol.

These are my first chicks is 11 going to be that much more work than 7? Please talk me down
1f62b.png
Well, as another first timer with 11 in the brooder, I an hoping the answer is...11 is better then 7!
I had 1 (RIR/production red), then 6 more (black sex links) and then I 'completed my flock' for the year with 4 more of an unknown breed. They are yellow chicks so should have different coloring as adults then the sex links.
Now I have lots of colors!
wee.gif

OH, and we did this all in 1 day!

Well, as another first timer with 11 in the brooder, I an hoping the answer is...11 is better then 7!
I had 1 (RIR/production red), then 6 more (black sex links) and then I 'completed my flock' for the year with 4 more of an unknown breed.  They are yellow chicks so should have different coloring as adults then the sex links.  
Now I have lots of colors! :weee  

OH, and we did this all in 1 day!

Lol you aren't helping. I even looked around at the feed stores and no one has any "in stock" or I would've already picked some up!

Lol you aren't helping. I even looked around at the feed stores and no one has any "in stock" or I would've already picked some up!
That's how I got my 6 black sex links. I bought them for 2.99 each at tractor supply in Bedford, PA.

You're in central PA like me (though that is a broad area!)....The Belleville sale sells tons of chicks every Wednesday. I didn't buy our 4 yellow ones directly, but someone picked them up there and I bought them second hand (2.50 each).

Also the local classifieds (Pennswoods for me) have people selling chicks and pullets etc.

That's how I got my 6 black sex links.  I bought them for 2.99 each at tractor supply in Bedford, PA.

You're in central PA like me (though that is a broad area!)....The Belleville sale sells tons of chicks every Wednesday.  I didn't buy our 4 yellow ones directly, but someone picked them up there and I bought them second hand (2.50 each).

Also the local classifieds (Pennswoods for me) have people selling chicks and pullets etc.

I'm in York so more south central, but I'll have to check Craigslist tonight while I'm at work. And I saw the one place was supposed to get welsummers and marans in today but I'm not sure if the local store did or not. I was at the farmers market Tues, but I was there early and only saw quail chicks. It's just so hard to wait til the 19th
1f601.png

Don't feel bad I started with the intention of having between three and six chicks. First I got 4 ameraucanas, 2 black 2Wheaton. Then I went and got 4 Easter Eggers. I then decided I just had to have a silver laced Wyandotte except they only sell you 6 so I came home with them, not knowing what color silver laced wyandottes were as chicks and found out they were light brahmas so I called the store and they had two silver laced wyandottes left so I went and picked them up at no charge . Just in case you don't want to do the math that means I went from wanting 3 or 6 all the way to having 18 chicks between 4 weeks and 4 days old. and I've never raise chicks ever started with him 3 weeks ago so far everyone is doing good. But they were noT mail order chicks

You are NOT crazy!!! More the merrier. I am going thru the same thing. Ordered then picked up my 1st 8 hatchlings from Meyers too (of course was supposed to be 5+surprise chick). Fell in love then found out they shipped other BA to a local place.. picked up another 8
On the 16th, picking up another ordered chick batch. Only supposed to be 3 (2 BO and a surprise) but I'll wind up with more. Lol. Pretty good for first time for both of us.

Back
Top Bottom