First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

I just got home maybe 10 min ago and put the chicks in their brooder and they're all huddled under the light like this falling asleep. I don't want to lower it anymore cuz it's already close to their heads!

Are they too cold or just warming up from the drive!?

And it looks like the guy that sold them to me gave me two older ones then the day olds. Is this ok? I read not to mix but he didn't tell me!

Thanks

After two months of going round and round with my daughter, we will be getting our chicks this week. I'm quite nervous due to the fact we have an indoor/outdoor cat and my three year old son who is rather rough. I'm also facing a fear of birds by doing this. Any suggestions on the best breeds to get with my particular situation?
If you are getting them locally, what breeds are available? There are many that would do well.

We are starting our first flock right now too. We have two mixed Bantams that we got from our local feed store. We have an order in at our local hatchery for 6 more (3 buff orpington, and 3 black Australorp). We were wanting a couple Marans, but all the eggs that the hatchery had were already spoken for. One of our local supply stores is getting one batch of them in on the 1st of April and I am still contemplating seeing if I can snag a couple. The chicks at this store are quite often gone within a few hours of them arriving. Here is a picture from our chicks first field trip outside. It was the only nice day we have had this last week. Every other day has been really windy.

so cute! what types of Marans are you looking for? if your looking for show quality I believe Amber Waves sells the black ones. if your looking more for pet quality I know Meyer hatchery sells many different types of Marans and there minimum order for shipping is only three! I have a Female Golden Cuckoo Maran coming in my shipment for April.I believe they still have females left for this particular Maran. They have a lot of very beautiful unusual breeds. I was lucky enough to get the last female for April 11th hatch on the Silver Penciled Rock. a rare breed that's very beautiful. limit is 1 per person on them...if you don't mind the Golden cuckoo Maran you can likely still get females for April. They still lay the dark eggs and have a friendly disposition. They are unique looking. Hope this helps you out. best wishes

The chick who keeps climbing into my lap is a BO named Dinah. I have four others, but they're a little more standoffish.
I love my Buff. I was on the phone with a friend today and she was talking with me on my lap. She was adorable. My first chicks were my favorites. Of course I only had 6 of them, so they were easy to get to know and my buff ran into my hand when I went to pick a chick. I adore my Wyandottes for their beauty, but I love my Buff for her silliness.

I have a question on lighting. I have a heat lamp directly over my chicks, and a 100 watt light bulb in the coop for general lighting. Does the main coop light need to be on 24 hrs/day, or can it be turned off at night?

Production egg houses keep the lights on 24/7 to boost output, but I think the girls do better with a break. During the winter months I have a light on a timer to extend the "day" a bit and hopefully hold off molting, but still give them from 7pm - 5am dark time.

Back
Top Bottom