First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

Ooo this ice block thing is exciting
1f60a.png
I will have to try it when it gets hot enough here

Mine love frozen 2 liters, they perch on them to keep cool

I had a chicken massacre last night. Lost about 40 birds from my "big enough to free range, too young for eggs" pen. I kept it together all day because I had still living birds to get out of that pen and into a secure something else--which required some minor construction--but now I'm sitting here comparing the list of survivors against the flock list and I have lost so many wonderful little personalities.
sad.png

I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost that many tweens.
hit.gif

I was gifted this Roo. They said he's about 2 years old They said. How should I go about intergrating him in with my 7 week old pullets?

Last edited:
Is it true that chicks shouldn't be out let out and about until 12-16 weeks ?

Someone on the fan page I have for the chickens told me I shouldn't let them out of the coop so young.

I don't really agree with that. We have a completely fenced in yard and we supervise them loosely while they are out and they get about 4 hours tops throughout the day of outdoor time, and they are already really well trained to go back to their coop when I need to herd them or around 6ish when they are settling in.

It kind of irked me that this person presumed to know more but I also want to know where she's coming from and if I should be aware of something I'm doing wrong with my chickens. Insights?

Back
Top Bottom