First time Chicken Pin Building

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,

I am new to chickens and the whole bit. we have two chicken coops built and are now
going to work on the chicken pen. Can anyone give us some good suggestions of what the
best way to construct the pen is. Do we need a cover? What kind of fencing should we use? Is it okay
to use chicken wire? Any info from you all who have done this would be great.
Thanks

Chicken wire keeps chickens in, but nothing else out. Use hardware cloth. And I would make a covered area for them too! Mine has one, and i like it. That way i can have food and water out there! I am building a new pen this summer so i would like to here everyones input!

The size of your run (pen) depends on how many chooks you have. The general rule is 10 sqft per bird. As for construction, build it tall enough for you to walk in. For the posts I'd go with treated 4x4s to help against rot, or use those metal fence post bases that you drive two feet into the ground, then bolt your 4x4 into it. I've seen them in Lowe's recently. Use hardware cloth to enclose it. At least the bottom 4 feet plus a foot or so buried to prevent burrowing predators. Also, covering it is highly recommended. Hardware cloth is preferred, but if your budget won't allow it, use the toughest avian netting you can find. Just keep in mind that you are building this to protect your chooks. Try to think of every way possible a predator could get in, and do what is needed to prevent it. Remember, a safe chook is a happy chook. And happy chooks lay the best eggs!

Pictures are worth a million words. Hope this helps!!
63768_coop_2_chickens_053.jpg

You can also put the wire cloth in a sort of apron extending out from the bottom edge of the run about a foot, to prevent digging. Some people also use large rocks or paving stones or something similar.

Ok, Thank you all for your replys. I had no idea that chicken wire would not keep other things out.
I want to do this right the first time and not make any mistakes that could be deadly for the birds.
Thanks again, you all were very helpful.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom