First time Chickie Mama. Best advice appreciated

Looks like the coop and run are covered. Make sure to check for pasty butt the first couple of days. Are you getting them shipped in? If so, I highly suggest getting nutridrench. Give them each a drop in their mouth when they arrive and put some in their water, make it look like weak tea. That needs to be changed out daily. I do this for about a week or 2. It helps them recover from the journey. I always check their poop just to make sure no one has cocci. I would also leave a light on for them to give them time to remember where the heat plate is. I use one for the first time and lost a chick and almost lost another because they couldn't see in the dark to get back to the warmth. I prefer a heat lamp but others here have used the plate successfully.

Congratulations and welcome to BYC!
Here is a great article which may help you get through the first 2 months with your chickies.
I give all my chick buyers a link to this.

No DE in the brooder. No grit unless you have them outside and they are eating anything other than chick crumble. I usually start sprinkling it on their feed at 2 weeks of age when they start going outside on the grass for short periods of time.
😊

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens.47691/

My chickies come today!
This is the feed that i got for them https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHGD81C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 its the starter.
Do I need to offer them grit? Or what age do they need to be offered grit? Thank you all for your help!
Also, do you put DE in the brooder?
I offer grit from day one it's not needed if only feeding processed stater but as you don't know what they may get ahold of and eat, like their bedding it is better safe than sorry. By looking at that feed it looks like a lot of seeds and grains not fully ground and they will need grit to process it. That type of feed is better off fermented. Being that you are so new to this I would recommend you getting a processed chick starter crumble.

We got the "nuggets"! :D:D

Chickies1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom