First time coop build-BONEYARD

Boneyard

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 10, 2012
Osage City, KS
Hi everybody! Just found this site a month ago and have learned a lot already. I am in the process of converting an old shed into a coop. I don't have chickens yet but wanting to get it all set up before I do. Thinking of starting with 8 or 10 laying hens.

Made some nesting boxes, ramps and doors. Also have a big run layed out, 12x20x18x20. I have the t posts in already and will put the 48" chicken wire on this week. Still a lot to do inside. Make roosting rods and frame in coop since I wont be using the whole 8x12 barn. I'll use the extra space for storage. I plan on covering the whole run with wire or netting of some sort to keep the blood thirsty critters out. It will be a learning curve but what the heck, go for it! I'm a big gardener to so the fertilizer will come in handy.

Still a work in progress but got a lot done this weekend. My buddy came up to help build a sun and rain structure on the side of the coop. It ended up being roughly 9-10 ft wide and 10ft long topped with tin. We made two doors for the run out of 2x4's. One being the main gate and the other going out the back side to my asparagus patch. That was an ad-on but hey, we had the lumber. We also extended the run out another 20ft to a tree that will provide additional shading. Got the chicken wire wrapped around the whole run! We wired it to the t posts and stapled it to the wood. This is a total DIY coop and run, but I'm proud of it so far with around $100 invested. All lumber, scrap and tin was given to me by my neighbor who said everything is on a one-way trip to my yard! I may end up entering it into the ugly coops contest! Enjoy!

Grilled those strips seasoned up on my fire pit out back over oak, caramelized homegrown Brussels sprouts and baked potatoes, absolutely awesome flavor!! It has been fun tinkering with this project. The only problem I see is to cover the top with chicken wire, netting or nothing. We did a lot of talking about this and came to conclusion the sides of the run wont support the wire very good unless I come up with a way to support the side better. T posts at 8 ft are the only support. Could put in additional t posts every 4ft to give more structure. My buddy also has an old but BIG batting cage net I can have. That may work too.

Hello Boneyard: Welcome to BYC!! Good luck with you coop, post pictures as it progresses. BTW, we just covered our run (due to the elements, hot sun, rain, snow) also we have quite a few eagles and hawks in our area, and we only have 5 chickens. Just wanted to comment on those steaks, they look awesome and I love cooking over an open fire, can't beat the taste!!

Well getting closer to finally getting my chickens. A light bulb went off in my head! I have an older carport frame, 12X20 I wasn't using so I put together 15 ft of it and used it as the framing for my wire to cover the run. It worked perfect, took the tension off the sides of the run and made it high enough in the middle I can walk under it. Also, wired up the inside coop but still have to make roosts and feeders. It's just fun tinkering around with this stuff but my wife thinks I' crazy! I told her she will end up loving the chickens as much as I do.

Love the carport frame idea. We have one that the wind got hold of and shredded the tarps then bent one leg of the frame all to heck. I've been wanting to use it as a frame for a roof for my coop and a "shelter" for my mini horses. Hey "use what you've got" is the best way I think. Love what you've got going. You'll have chickens before you know it.

I'm ready for some chickens. Anyone in NE Kansas have any for sale or want to get rid of? Just let me know.

Finally got the whole run covered

Had to smoke some ribs while I worked!

Had to replace some rotted out wood on the back of the coop.
I am no carpenter, but it worked out. It made a good place for a ventilation window up high.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom