First Time Coop Build

The front door which will allow me access to sweep the coop straight out into a bin. The side is where we will fit the Omlet automatic door, which I am insanely excited about.

Attachments

• PXL_20220609_192850956.jpg
    PXL_20220609_192850956.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20220609_192857033.jpg
    PXL_20220609_192857033.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 5
Don't worry about which birds will sleep where. They will decide that. The more dominant will sleep where they want to, usually on the higher roost, the less dominant will sleep wherever is left. A bantam could very well be dominant over a full sized fowl. It's not the size of the chicken in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the chicken. A smaller quicker bantam could easily win a fight. Bantams can usually fly better than larger birds unless you have birds that can't fly, like Silkies.

The roosts need to be higher than the nests as they often like to sleep as high as they can. You don't want them sleeping in your nests since they poop at night. You don't want poopy eggs. Whether you use a ladder roost or all at the same elevation is your personal preference. The chickens don't care but some people do. You can use a piece of lumber like a 2x4 (5 cm x 10 cm) either flat or on edge. My two main roosts are tree limbs available from an ice storm but I also have a 2x4 on edge. Where they sleep depends on location and elevation, not the shape of the roost.

You probably don't have to paint or stain the wood as it is up off of the ground. A lot of farm buildings are not painted or stained as long as they stay out of the water, they can last a very long time. If you are in a wet climate staining might be a good idea. Look around at farms to see what you can see. Take your lead from them.

Don't worry about which birds will sleep where. They will decide that. The more dominant will sleep where they want to, usually on the higher roost, the less dominant will sleep wherever is left. A bantam could very well be dominant over a full sized fowl. It's not the size of the chicken in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the chicken. A smaller quicker bantam could easily win a fight. Bantams can usually fly better than larger birds unless you have birds that can't fly, like Silkies.

The roosts need to be higher than the nests as they often like to sleep as high as they can. You don't want them sleeping in your nests since they poop at night. You don't want poopy eggs. Whether you use a ladder roost or all at the same elevation is your personal preference. The chickens don't care but some people do. You can use a piece of lumber like a 2x4 (5 cm x 10 cm) either flat or on edge. My two main roosts are tree limbs available from an ice storm but I also have a 2x4 on edge. Where they sleep depends on location and elevation, not the shape of the roost.

You probably don't have to paint or stain the wood as it is up off of the ground. A lot of farm buildings are not painted or stained as long as they stay out of the water, they can last a very long time. If you are in a wet climate staining might be a good idea. Look around at farms to see what you can see. Take your lead from them.

Thank you, we've got some fab branches from a recent trim that I think we are going to try and fashion some roost options out of.

The first boxes are definitely lower but we've got them stacked 2 on 2, I think we would have a roost lower than the second stack of boxes. Might have to rethink nest boxes.

We don't build a great deal out of wood as the norm around where I live. All our barns and outbuildings tend to be brick built. Anything more than a shed or summer house is block or brick. I wonder if it's because we are pretty wet! So far we've had ran ever day for 2 weeks...one day we had rain, wind, blazing sun and then snow! You know you're in England when all the seasons come in one day 🤣

Can I ask why 12 inches away from the wall? One of the ideas was to build off the wall but if that's not feasible we'll go ladder style.
Room for tails and faces to stick out, and to minimize them shooting poop all over the walls.
I'm planning to have 6/7 chickens and my coop is 4x8, would a 4' roosting bar be wide enough or would I need to double that up? for example, do a double roosting bar one little but higher than the other.
For 6-7 chickens (standards) you'd want roughly 6-7' of roost (1' a bird), so if you're going across 4' width then I'd do 2 bars. Can they get by with less, yes, but they need space to be able to get up and down from roosts with wings extended, and the option of not being smushed together if they don't want it.

If it’s wet a lot, I would say just brushing on some mineral oil on the outside would help it hold up a while longer.

I painted mine barn red and white trim but didn’t touch the inside.

Spacing from the wall is definitely a good idea. I moved my roosts after the first summer after having to scrape the walls. Not fun.

Ok we are definitely positioning the roosts away from the wall! 🤣

Thanks for the tip on location, I've updated this. Especially as I've noticed a lot of American food items on our photos which we bought back from our recent trip and apparently my children are always eating!

Mineral oil is a great tip because I love this rough look!

We've moved to into the run (which will be extending/upgrading next weekend.)

There are something's we aren't sure about so lots of this is still a work in progress.

Husband will put the front on tomorrow, the Omlet door and hopefully the waterer

Attachments

• PXL_20220611_152106373.jpg
    PXL_20220611_152106373.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220611_173033418.jpg
    PXL_20220611_173033418.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220611_150742478.jpg
    PXL_20220611_150742478.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220611_145415075.jpg
    PXL_20220611_145415075.jpg
    580.8 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220611_165238700.jpg
    PXL_20220611_165238700.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220611_160741573.jpg
    PXL_20220611_160741573.jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220611_152111375.jpg
    PXL_20220611_152111375.jpg
    617.5 KB · Views: 4
We've moved to into the run (which will be extending/upgrading next weekend.)

There are something's we aren't sure about so lots of this is still a work in progress.

Husband will put the front on tomorrow, the Omlet door and hopefully the waterer
Might want to consider repositioning the roost so it's parallel to a wall, reason being the end sections of a diagonally placed roost are too close to the wall to be used.

Might want to consider repositioning the roost so it's parallel to a wall, reason being the end sections of a diagonally placed roost are too close to the wall to be used.
Thank you! I'd love to but my husband wanted it this way and he's making it for me so I shouldn't complain! There is another roost (or two)to go in so they will still have enough space but will try and get these to be diagonal!

Back
Top Bottom